Green Tomatos

Last year I made Green Tomato bread which is just like Zucchini Bread except using the tomatoes instead. It freezes well and is moist and delicious. I also made Green Tomato chutney which can be canned for use later in the year. For Thanksgiving we had Green Tomato Pie which was amazingly like Apple Pie.

I made this today, it's really very good (great topped with tortilla chips)

Green Tomato and Country Ham Soup

Ingredients:
•2 slices of bacon
•4 to 6 ounces country ham or smoked ham, diced
•1 small onion, diced
•2 cloves garlic, minced
•4 cups chicken broth
•8 medium green tomatoes, peeled and chopped
•2 medium red tomatoes, peeled and chopped
•1 jalapeno pepper, seeds and stem removed, minced
•1/4 teaspoon celery salt
•dash Tabasco sauce, optional
•salt and pepper, to taste
Preparation:
Cook bacon in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat; remove bacon. to Bacon grease, add ham, onion, and garlic. Sauté, stirring, until onion is tender. Add chicken broth, chopped green and red tomatoes, cooked bacon and minced jalapeno pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes.
Working in batches, pulse in a blender or food processor until almost smooth (Or use imersion blender so it doesn't have to leave the pan and leave it a little chunky for texture). Pour back into the saucepan (if you'd used blender or food processor). Add celery salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Taste and add salt and pepper and Tabasco sauce, as desired.
Serves 4 to 6

Back
Top Bottom