Green Treated wood..= Poison??????

bigstack

Songster
10 Years
Jan 4, 2010
Texarkana, TX
Is it ok to use the green pressure treated wood in a coop?
idunno.gif
I was told it was poisonous to chickens. They will peck at it? Was I told wrong? Is it ok to make roost and nest boxes out of green treated wood?

Thanks for the help!!!

God Bless!

Treated wood is very nearly all I've ever used to make chicken housing. I've never noticed it caused any problems, even the older arsenic treated stuff. I've yet to see a chicken gnaw a piece of wood.

.....Alan.

Sweet!!! Thanks!!! I have alot of it but a friend said it was poison. I wanted to check before I killed my flock. LOL Im trying to finish up my new coop. I have bout 1 more weekend and it will be ready for the birds. Yeah!!!

God Bless!

Chickens don't eat sound wood, p/t or otherwise.

However there is no point in using pressure-treated wood for anything that is not ground-contact (posts in ground, or sills lying on ground). Waste of money, regular lumber is better stuff (less twisty, lighter weight, cheaper) and personally I see no point in increasing the amount of p/t production processes, which are rather polluting, over and beyond what is actually purposeful.

JMHO, good luck, ahve fun,

Pat

99% of the stuff I use for pens is ALL free! So I don't care what it is as long as it wont hurt my babies! LOL But I understand your point and agree!

God Bless!

Back
Top Bottom