Green Water in the Kiddie Pool

Maddog_photog

Songster
May 22, 2020
San Diego, CA
Hey folks!
I’ve got a couple kiddie pools for my duckies. I fill with water, they play for a few days, water turns green & I empty it out. I use a plastic trash can to scoop and toss the soiled water. My question is: “Is there an easier way to get the water out? Is the green water dangerous for duckies? Do I need to replace the green water, or can I allow my 11-week old and my 2-week old Ducks to frolic in the water?”

Attachments

• DF56C9AA-C4F0-4088-904E-05F02D255FA4.jpeg
    DF56C9AA-C4F0-4088-904E-05F02D255FA4.jpeg
    900 KB · Views: 45
If the water is turning green that means algae is growing in it. You do not want this to happen because can mean botulism According to my vet. Our duck pool water is brown within 20 minutes or so of changing it. We never go more than three days without cleaning it. Right now it’s so dry I change it every other day so I can use it to water the garden .

If the water is turning green that means algae is growing in it. You do not want this to happen because can mean botulism According to my vet. Our duck pool water is brown within 20 minutes or so of changing it. We never go more than three days without cleaning it. Right now it’s so dry I change it every other day so I can use it to water the garden .
That does not sound good! I’m glad I dumped the water! 3-days seems to be my max as well.

My reasons for changing the pool water so often goes beyond concerns for the ducks. Even though we are rural our water comes from a special utility district and is heavy in chlorine. It takes a day or two for it to evaporate. I do not like to waste so the water gets re used in my garden with the extra nitrogen from duck poop. A lot of work since my garden is a hundred yards up hill from the ducks but it’s worth it.

My reasons for changing the pool water so often goes beyond concerns for the ducks. Even though we are rural our water comes from a special utility district and is heavy in chlorine. It takes a day or two for it to evaporate. I do not like to waste so the water gets re used in my garden with the extra nitrogen from duck poop. A lot of work since my garden is a hundred yards up hill from the ducks but it’s worth it.
Smart! I’ll have to try using some pool water in my flowers!

I just bought a new pump. At a Lowe's or a place like that go to the section where they have Sump Pumps. You will find along with them some General Purpose pumps which is what you want. Don't buy a cheap one. It'll cost more in the long run. It does all the work of emptying a kiddie pool in less than 5 minutes and no heavy lifting.

Back
Top Bottom