Greetings! Wooster woes

charlebois

In the Brooder
Mar 11, 2019
Greetings all. New to the forums and forums in general but after a lot of contemplating I finally decided to ask the online experts for any opinions on my situation as follows.

We have had a rooster and 9 hens for a few years with no real issues. We had a new rooster come into our life this spring (hatched and raised on here) and he has basically been cast out by our current rooster, who doubles him in size. He isnt allowed to join the flock or eat with them and is chased away constantly.

Now, my first obvious thought is to simply remove the new rooster but wanted to get some opinions before I made that decision.
Any information or thoughts on flock behaviour and whether there is any benefit of removing the old rooster and giving this guy a chance would be worth it.

Thanks in advance.

CJ

I decided to fill out the questions as best I could to provide more information

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

We have had chickens for about 2 years

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

2 roosters and 8 hens

(3) What breeds do you have?

Not 100% sure, a few are cross breed.
Our big rooster is a beautiful Americana
1 hen is a sussex I believe
1 is a RIR
3 big grey hens
A bantam grandma

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

Watching them is so facinating to me. They have such interesting behaviour.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

Gardening, exploring, MTB

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

We have one dog a 7 year old chocolate lab, 2 cats that are primarily indoors, a spunky 4 year old daughter and more to come. I am current working seasonally in a greenhouse.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
Just blind luck, thanks for having me!

Hi and welcome to BYC. Sometimes, providing there is sufficient space a number of cock birds can exist together, but this is not always the case. Your breeding objectives should guide whether to keep your existing cockbird, or remove him from the flock, with the objective of waiting for your juvenile cock to mature and replace him.

rooster-flowers.jpg

hithere.gif
Welcome to BYC!
Well as others have said, it really depends on how much space you have... and also your own flock goals. Unless you have more pullets, you may have to decide which rooster is a better fit. How does he treat the ladies? Do you want to breed him? How does the rooster treat YOU and other humans? The most important thing to consider is keeping your child safe. Here's an article that gives some great tips and may help you decide what to do:
Selecting Good Flock Roosters

Back
Top Bottom