Greylag derived Goose breeds vs Swan goose derived goose breeds.

Crandox

In the Brooder
Jun 10, 2022
So I noticed that a lot of people have talked about the differences between Muscovy ducks and mallard derived ducks because they are two species but I haven’t seen anyone saying much about the differences between swan goose derived goose breeds and greylag derived goose breeds. Since they’re two different species I assume the differences must be real and significant. Are Swan goose derived goose breeds like Chinese and African geese louder than greylag goose derived goose breeds like Toulouse geese and Embden geese? Maybe that could account for why people say Chinese and African geese are way louder than other geese. Are there any other behavioral differences? Are Swan goose breeds bigger than greylag geese? And do they lay more eggs? Which is better for meat?

Swan geese and greylag geese aren’t truly different species, but variations of the same species that was or is splitting into different species. They have different scientific names, but they’re more like very close cousins and not yet separate families.

As for the behavioral differences, I can’t say because I don’t have Chinese or Africans.
Chinese geese tend to be very light and small compared to many greylag derived breeds, but Africans can be large and heavy birds comparable to some greylag derived breeds. Some greylag breeds can also be small.

There’s a chance that some breeds, like Africans and kholmogory for example, could have been developed by intermixing greylag and swan goose types over many many generations, I don’t have any evidence for this, it’s just a hunch I’ve had after noticing anatomical similarities that those breeds share with both the greylag type and swan goose type.

Back
Top Bottom