Grit!!!

I made my feeder out of a $3 oil change pan and a five gallon bucket with a lid. Very sturdy. All 11 of mine eat and crowd around it and it's never moved, shifted, or tipped.
Do you have a picture of that and would you be willing to explain exactly how it's made? I have been trying to brain storm idea's but got nothing so far that works! Thanks in advance!!!!
Edited to add, feel free to PM me, as I am not on this thread that much, if you can!!! Thanks again!!!

Last edited:
Can chicks get too much grit? I put a little bowl in the brooder and the went to town on it. I began to worry they were eating too much but figured they would know when to stop. Is that a correct assumption?

This video shows an easy solution to feeding grit to your chickens. It also shows some other tips on how to raise chickens.....the easy way. Enjoy!

The feed store I use, locally owned, own their own chickens and other livestock, just changed us over to All Flock, mine are five weeks old...mixing the last of the crumbles in with the pellets...the recommened time, according my feed store is about 5-7 weeks to an in between feed, such as the all flock. I have 3 cockerels, and the layer is hard on them so going to wait till close to POL, to add some oyster shells for the girls!

I have a question, short of building a wood box and attaching it to the wall, for a temp container, till next week-end, any ideas on a container they won't tip over? I have tried, a baking sheet, a round baking pan, a plastic longer container, their chick feeder, so far, all have been tipped and dumped.

Think I will have to make and attach something to the wall?????? or anyone have ideas that works for 15 pullets/cockerels?

Thanks!
I hung my feeder and placed a small hard plastic pool under it. They were messy and wasteful. Once they knocked all the feed out (into the pool) I made them clean it up before I refilled the feeder. I have 24 young hens and this is my first time to have chicks. It worked for me. An old farmer gave me a long vintage looking feeder that sits on the ground I use now. They can't scratch or knock it over.

Back
Top Bottom