Grooming Silkies for showing/ washing head?

Another big thing is to make sure all the soap is out. We use the 4 bucket method, I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but it seems to work really well. This is what my 4-H leader taught us about 100 years ago..
the first bucket has soap in it.
Second has clear water, third has water and about three capfuls of white vinegar,
fourth is clear water..
Wash in the first and then keep going down the line till you are finished..Towel dry and let them sit wrapped in a towel someplace warm..(I usually do this in my basement, and then put them in a dog crate with towels in it, and put my stand dryer on low for about an hour)
Seems to work really well..I Didn't know about the flea comb, I will have to dig that out of the dog grooming supplies and use that on their wings.. Thanks for the tip!

Last edited:
Nice labs
love.gif
and silkies
love.gif
smile.png

I like that four bucket method,,,,,I don't think I would want soap in the feathers of my silkies, it wouldn't look too good.

Thanks so much!!
We are rather new to the world of show Silkies, but we are starting off with great birds.. I showed chickens in 4-H, and now my daughter is doing it..
the labradors have been my project/labor of love since 1996. Finally getting where I want to be with the labs, I do hope the show birds don't take that long!!

Thanks so much!!
We are rather new to the world of show Silkies, but we are starting off with great birds.. I showed chickens in 4-H, and now my daughter is doing it..
the labradors have been my project/labor of love since 1996. Finally getting where I want to be with the labs, I do hope the show birds don't take that long!!

lau.gif
don't worry happens to me all the time!!!! Hope nothings wrong with the computer!!!!

I love hunting dogs!!! Er I mean sporting dogs.
smile.png

I have a Vizsla/GR mix who looks like a small with petite charecteristics red lab.

How about their feet. I noticed at a show the feet are trimmed. Do you just trim them or is there something special you have to do?? Lilli

Vinegar is great for stripping soap and stuff off, I use it often when bathing our horse. It gets off all the extra shampoo that could have been missed in that first rinsing.

I've heard of people using vinegar on show horses. A hot vinegar bath is supposed to put a nice sheen on their coat. Never tried it myself, but apparently it works that way also.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom