groundhog, threat or not?

CathyB

Songster
11 Years
Apr 6, 2008
PA
Ok, since we moved the coop to the area that it will stay in DH has been concentrating on getting the run poles dug in. Yesterday he comes in and tells me to look out back. He then informs me the groundhog I see is now living under the coop! How long did that take, I mean really! I told him this will not do since I am afraid for the chickens I will be getting. If anyone can prove me wrong, let me know. I did not know if maybe they are good at keeping other predators away and therefore he could stay. I would hate to kill him which I know most of you will say to do. DH tried to scare him off last night with the BB gun with no avail. He might move up to the real guns now.

I love all of God's creatures, just some a little less! If he is not going to hurt me, my family, or my chickens, then he can stay. If not, he has to go!

Woodchucks aren't a threat to your chickens at all. They can be prtective of their burrows, but I doubt your chickens will try to pick a fight with them. My only concern might be other animals going into the burrow...

I would block the area where the run is so the chickens can't get under where the woodchuck is. He would be able to get out on the outside of the coop where there is no run and my hens will not be there. I was thinking he might be protective as far as not letting other predators under there which would be good. But if it is not then he still might have to go.
barnie.gif

Break a leg or twist an ankle in a hidden hole you will wish the chuck wasn't there.
She thought the one under the pole building was a cute sign of spring,,, untill our 8 year old son hit a new hole in the middle of his dirt bike path and did an endo and got banged up really good.
They are destructive little guys.

Oh no! Hope your son was not too banged up! You are right, and I have weak ankles to begin with. Poor guy might have to move!

If you leave one - or more - woodchucks (aka groundhogs) around you will live to regret it.

they will;

* dig holes, nice ones, for you or your other animals to step into. These holes will be used by snakes, rats and other predators once they are abandoned. Broken ankles are a distinct possibility with their holes in unmowed vegetation.

* consume prodigious amounts of vegetable garden and ornamental plants.

* undermine foundations, posts and etc.

They accomplished all of the above for me. They were neutralized.
wink.png

No holes = good holes
clap.gif

Back
Top Bottom