Grow up thread with PineapplešŸ, Watermelon šŸ‰ , and Kiwi šŸ„

CaliFarmsAR

Free Ranging
5 Years
Apr 26, 2019
Arkansas
Welcome to my thread!

I thought it would be really fun to document a thread on my three special chicks, who I love so dearly. The plan is to post weekly so yā€™all can watch their growth!!
@african chickens, @Bakbuk, @Pierre duck drake? Wanna see my new chicks?

Theyā€™re all a barnyard mix and hatched from blue eggs, so some sort of EE cross, also, I have no clue on gender. Hopefully all pullets, but with my luck Iā€™ll get a cockerel or two šŸ˜‚

Letā€™s meet the babies!! :jumpy
1. Pineapple šŸ
Pineapple had a rough start to lifeā€¦ she was stepped on by her mama who busted her egg sac (she wasnā€™t ready to come out yet), but thanks to everything Iā€™ve learned on BYC, we were able to act fast enough and save her. I rushed her inside, put her in a paper towel, inside a cup, and under a heat lamp so she could try to absorb her yolk to the best of her ability. It was quite a few hours before she started to respond, the only thing I could hold on to was she had a good steady breathing, which, I knew was able to turn bad fast.

Hours past and she still had been breathing strong, when all of a sudden, we heard a loud ā€œpeep!ā€ from the kitchen where she was. After that one peep, she had been going good when things took a turn. She started to stay huddled in the corner of the boxā€¦ I really wasnā€™t sure what to do, so I contacted someone who could help me out. We decided to mix up some Electrolytes and Probiotics for her to drink as I like to give all my new babies that as a ā€œjump startā€ (only in spring/summer).

After drinking some of that, eating some food, and chilled with her buddy, Watermelon, she really perked up! Now Pineapple is doing great, a little weaker than the other two, but doing very well considering everything sheā€™s been through. Sheā€™s got such a sweet little personality already and loves people ā¤ļø
93AC96E7-E109-4444-8A3B-DA29346FBD86.jpeg
93C34A12-A06F-40D4-BE64-A607CA0B7A0B.jpeg

2. Watermelon šŸ‰
Ok, so Watermelon kinda had the normal story of hatching, she was put under a heat lamp though, instead of being left under the broody duck due to the duck had accidentally killed some other chicks by stepping on them and I wasnā€™t up for losing another chick, on top of that the duck was who busted Pineappleā€™s yolk sac. So for safety reasons I decided to take her in.

Watermelon is a spunky, bold, stout, and very independent lil lady (kinda makes me think cockerel šŸ«£ but who knows). She gets along well with her siblings, but is also the one who starts pecking wars šŸ¤¦ā€ā™€ļøšŸ˜‚
2551FFCF-1F7C-4D47-9D1B-8FA1F1FEF313.jpeg
C921C2FB-DC7C-422D-B93D-9901FB1E2C76.jpeg

3. Kiwi šŸ„

Kiwi hatched late last night or super early this morning under the duck, she is the only chick who successfully hatched and made it. She is a lil sweetheart, a bit timid, but overall a sweet thing šŸ„°
08B5A7A1-5B14-4DB1-8213-CFEF5D47E2CC.jpeg

Welcome to my thread!

I thought it would be really fun to document a thread on my three special chicks, who I love so dearly. The plan is to post weekly so yā€™all can watch their growth!!

Theyā€™re all a barnyard mix and hatched from blue eggs, so some sort of EE cross, also, I have no clue on gender. Hopefully all pullets, but with my luck Iā€™ll get a cockerel or two šŸ˜‚

1. Pineapple šŸ
Pineapple had a rough start to lifeā€¦ she was stepped on by her mama who busted her egg sac (she wasnā€™t ready to come out yet), but thanks to everything Iā€™ve learned on BYC, we were able to act fast enough and save her. I rushed her inside, put her in a paper towel, inside a cup, and under a heat lamp so she could try to absorb her yolk to the best of her ability. It was quite a few hours before she started to respond, the only thing I could hold on to was she had a good steady breathing, which, I knew was able to turn bad fast.

Hours past and she still had been breathing strong, when all of a sudden, we heard a loud ā€œpeep!ā€ from the kitchen where she was. After that one peep, she had been going good when things took a turn. She started to stay huddled in the corner of the boxā€¦ I really wasnā€™t sure what to do, so I contacted someone who could help me out. We decided to mix up some Electrolytes and Probiotics for her to drink as I like to give all my new babies that as a ā€œjump startā€ (only in spring/summer).

After drinking some of that, eating some food, and chilled with her buddy, Watermelon, she really perked up! Now Pineapple is doing great, a little weaker than the other two, but doing very well considering everything sheā€™s been through. Sheā€™s got such a sweet little personality already and loves people ā¤ļøView attachment 3472644View attachment 3472640

2. Watermelon šŸ‰
Ok, so Watermelon kinda had the normal story of hatching, she was put under a heat lamp though, instead of being left under the broody duck due to the duck had accidentally killed some other chicks by stepping on them and I wasnā€™t up for losing another chick, on top of that the duck was who busted Pineappleā€™s yolk sac. So for safety reasons I decided to take her in.

Watermelon is a spunky, bold, stout, and very independent lil lady (kinda makes me think cockerel šŸ«£ but who knows). She gets along well with her siblings, but is also the one who starts pecking wars šŸ¤¦ā€ā™€ļøšŸ˜‚View attachment 3472643View attachment 3472638

3. Kiwi šŸ„

Kiwi hatched late last night or super early this morning under the duck, she is the only chick who successfully hatched and made it. She is a lil sweetheart, a bit timid, but overall a sweet thing šŸ„°View attachment 3472641
Awww! Definitely following, Cali!

Good luck with your beautiful babies. This is going to be so much fun to watch!! :love:love:love

I have a sad updateā€¦
Pineapple passed away. It was unexpected, but my sister did say when she got up, she was having a seizureā€¦ šŸ’”

Pineapple, my dear lil chick, you will be greatly missed and always loved.

Watermelon and Kiwi are growing like weeds and are very healthy. Iā€™m really excited to see how they turn out, Watermelon is getting a bar pattern and Kiwi is getting a cinnamon color. šŸ„°

1. Watermelon
EED8BCEB-1099-4D7F-97C4-2ABF620F870D.jpeg

2. Kiwi
D87FD8E5-234F-4D8A-8440-3499103DD4D0.jpeg

Welcome to my thread!

1. Pineapple šŸ

After drinking some of that, eating some food, and chilled with her buddy, Watermelon, she really perked up! Now Pineapple is doing great, a little weaker than the other two, but doing very well considering everything sheā€™s been through. Sheā€™s got such a sweet little personality already and loves people ā¤ļøView attachment 3472644View attachment 3472640

2. Watermelon šŸ‰

Watermelon is a spunky, bold, stout, and very independent lil lady (kinda makes me think cockerel šŸ«£ but who knows). She gets along well with her siblings, but is also the one who starts pecking wars šŸ¤¦ā€ā™€ļøšŸ˜‚View attachment 3472643View attachment 3472638

3. Kiwi šŸ„

Kiwi hatched late last night or super early this morning under the duck, she is the only chick who successfully hatched and made it. She is a lil sweetheart, a bit timid, but overall a sweet thing šŸ„°View attachment 3472641
They're so cute! I'd put money that Watermelon is a little cockerel, look at that comb! :lol:

I have a sad updateā€¦
Pineapple passed away. It was unexpected, but my sister did say when she got up, she was having a seizureā€¦ šŸ’”

Aw, I'm sorry. :hugs

Is she sure she was having a seizure and not muscle contractions after she died?

I have a sad updateā€¦

I am so sorry she passed away, :hugs it's never easy on the heart when they go. šŸ’”

Back
Top Bottom