Growing container garden for treats

MineAlways

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 27, 2012
SW PA
I didnt really know how to word my title but here it is

My 6 chicks will be living in a 8x8 run(coop attached to the outside) I know that chickens are pretty hard on the vegetation and that 8x8 space will quickly be turned into dirt. I am unable to move the pin around for lack of space but I also want my girls to have fresh green things that they can pick out of dirt.

Yesterday when I had them outside in an old rabbit hutch (off the ground) I was giving them weeds and stuff then I came across some old potted plants from last year. Weeds were growing in them so I put one of the pots in there and they LOVED it. They went nuts over those weeds that they could pull out on their own,

Anywho I guess my question is. Does anyone grow anything in pots(containers) to give to the chickens. I have a small garden so they will be getting garden scraps but the way they loved going after the plants in that pot I thought I would grow maybe 30 of them and rotate them daily.

What to grow though? Something quick growing. I could do lettuce right? Or is there a flower or a plant that is good for them? Anyone else do this? Is this a stupid though?

There is another thread that suggests growing buckwheat because it grows so fast and the birds love. I'm going to start container gardening for my birds this year too - like you said, they love it when they can forage it themselves. I tried growing some easy plants in the run last year BUT they turn it into bare dirt in no time. I think having multiple pots to change one out everyday sounds like a nice plan. I look forward to seeing what others have in mind for easy and quick plants to grow for them :)

Thanks for your great idea!! I'm going to get some pots outside growing with dandelions and grass. I pick it for them now and they love it!! Maybe if I grow it in window boxes it will be even better for them to forage through.

I once saw a magazine article that suggested growing alfalfa or clover sprouts in trays. It looked pretty interesting, and I think I might try it in the winter next year. Also, someone said bean sprouts are really loved by chickens. The type of bean would be like the ones grown in people's kitchens for salads. Here are some links that might help: http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/04/how-to-grow-bean-sprouts-in-a-jar.html

http://www.backyardpoultrymag.com/issues/1/1-5/Lisa_Jansen_Mathews.html

http://www.backyardpoultrymag.com/i...s_as_a_dietary_supplement_for_your_flock.html

I hope this helps. I always try to at least grow sunflower seeds, but I have enough trouble just growing food for myself.
hu.gif

I grow 'salad bars' for my girls! they love them! I grow clover, swiss chard and various grasses... also I go to the feed store and ask for cover crop seeds... very cheap and they grow very quickly! I generally grow 4-7 'bars' and just slide one or 2 in each week! I got lucky and found a bunch of old plastic window boxes at a yard sale so I use those! also kitty litter containers!

Having window boxes and other pots of grass and dandelions has worked out great for my chickens! They love to have a fresh pot every day!!

Back
Top Bottom