Growing duckweed

tiffanya

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 10, 2010
After doing a bit of reading tonight I decided to try to grow some duckweed in my ducks' kiddie pool. Not sure if it will survive in this environment or not but I figure it won't hurt to try. We gathered some from the "pond" (ok I'll admit, sewer lagoon-yes, my husband called me the crazy duck lady for this) where I work and currently have it in three buckets of water to give it a day or two to multiply before putting it in the pool. Has anybody tried something similar?

Its just a kiddie pool, about 5 ft. across and a foot deep. I have 13 ducks. Any idea if the ratio of ducks, poop and duckweed will work out? Will the ducks eat all of the duckweed? Will there be too much poop to keep the water clean? Those sorts of things.

Quote:
With the size of the pool and the amount of ducks, the Duckweed will not be able to keep up with them, or keep the water clean. You could get a contanier and keep some of the duckweed there so it can multiply and add as a treat
smile.png

It will survive and thrive if fed.... Little duck poop should do the trick.
I've tried this and I can't get it to grow. Does it need an air supply? I have fed it chicken poo started it with my aquaponics water which it survives on but does not multiply. I have brought it in the house, for the winter. It is in a sun on the south east side so it get good light not to cold and not to warm. Had it for months lost some when I didn't bring it in fast enough and the cold killed some.It is just not multiplying. I also live in zone 8

Thanks for the website. I have actually been to this website several times before to see if I am missing anything. He doesn't say anything about air and the pictures don't show any air supply hose. I did start putting chicken poo in my duckweed because of this site. I am still stumped everyone says it is so easy.

Last edited:
Thanks for the website. I have actually been to this website several times before to see if I am missing anything. He doesn't say anything about air and the pictures don't show any air supply hose. I did start putting chicken poo in my duckweed because of this site. I am still stumped everyone says it is so easy.

I just started today and will see if it's as easy as they say, I'm in growing zone 7

It either grows like mad or won't grow at all. I had it infect one of my aquariums, but it wouldn't grow at all in another. Exact same set up. Same with dwarf water lettuce and frogbit.

Back
Top Bottom