Growth & Black Tip on rooster comb

wrenhen

Songster
May 14, 2021
Midwest
So my rooster has started to develop this growth on his comb. He also has a black tip on his comb that appeared after the freeze (I assumed it was frostbite)... but I'm worried it may be connected to the growth somehow? It also seems like his face is getting swollen on the side where the growth is. Here are photos of both sides of his face. None of my other chickens have anything going on with their combs.

Edit: He's a lavender Orpington, 1ish years old. His behavior is totally normal. Crows, runs around, good appetite and drinking water.

Screen Shot 2023-01-09 at 10.48.40 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-01-09 at 10.48.34 AM.png

Last edited:
Is it hard?
So the growth is the same hardness as the comb, not super hard but not squishy, The black tip is rock hard like its definitely dead and waiting to fall off.

Im really worried he got fowlpox and has potentially already infected my flock :( no hens have any symptoms i see though.

So the growth is the same hardness as the comb, not super hard but not squishy, The black tip is rock hard like its definitely dead and waiting to fall off.

Im really worried he got fowlpox and has potentially already infected my flock :( no hens have any symptoms i see though.
It doesn't quite look like fowl pox, that's spread mosquitoes, do you have mosquitoes right now?

It doesn't quite look like fowl pox, that's spread mosquitoes, do you have mosquitoes right now?
We have had some yes as the weather has been mild, 60-70 temps. Not nearly as many as we have in the summer, but some. I know some houses around the neighborhood have chickens as well as I hear other roosters crowing.
I preemptively sprayed some vetericyn on his face and spread lime... not sure that would even help but it cant hurt.

It looks like there might be bubbles in the eye on the swollen side? If that's the case then you may have more than one thing going on. That could indicate Mycoplasma gallisepticum, a respiratory virus. That would explain the swelling. More info here:
https://www.nadis.org.uk/disease-a-z/poultry/diseases-of-farmyard-poultry/part-1-mycoplasmosis/
Interesting, I will look at his eyes again when I go out. I havent noticed any breathing trouble or sneezing so far thankfully. Thank you for sharing, I'll be keeping a close eye on him though for the first sign of any respiratory issues.

The cyst on his comb could be related to pecking or an injury. I agree it looks like possible MG in the eye. You can flush his eye with saline or eye wash twice a day, followed by applying either Terramycin eye ointment from your feed store, or plain Neosporin ointment until it is better. Tylan is also sometimes used to treat mycoplasma (MG.) Here is a good article about MG:
https://extension.umd.edu/sites/ext... Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) Infecti....pdf

Back
Top Bottom