Growth in chicken's mouth

TiffandJohnchix

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 3, 2013
Help! Has anyone ever seen anything like this before? We discovered this on one of our girls today and as far as I know, she was fine two days ago. We thought she had swallowed something and we tried to gently pull it out, but it is...I'm pretty sure...attached! She may be able to get some water, but I doubt food. Would appreciate any guidance. Thx.

If it's not something stuck in her mouth, it could possibly be canker. Here's a pic of a bird with canker:
Treatment for canker is metronidazole 250mg tablet given orally once a day for 5 days. Canker is contageous via waterers/feeders and birds are carriers. To keep it in check, purchase acidified copper sulfate and mix 1/8 teaspoon per gallon of water for 3 days once a month. Use the copper sulfate in plastic waterers only and it must be their sole source of water to drink during the 3 day period. The metronidazole can be purchased as "fishzole" online. Murray McMurray hatchery carries acidified copper sulfate.

Ok, thanks for all of the info! Do you suppose a canker could get as big as the one my chicken has in a few days ? Also, I have some metro tablets that are leftover from one of my dogs.... Would that work? What do you think is the best way to get it into her throat?

I think that would need to be removed. If not, she may not be able to drink and eat. If it were me, I would get that off and treat as dawg stated.
Good luck!

If it's not canker it could be wet pox. Either way, if she can't drink or eat she will die. If she were mine I would bring her inside and remove the pus/mass and treat for canker as dawg recommended. Then if she wasn't drinking and eating I would tube feed her. If you don't want to wait for an order to arrive you can buy metronidazole from Petsmart, it looks like this:

It also has praziquantil in it, so that will take care of any tapeworms. I have not used this myself, so check the back of the box to veryify that each pack has 250mg metronidazole and 75mg of praziquantil.

-Kathy

Last edited:
If it's not canker it could be wet pox. Either way, if she can't drink or eat she will die. If she were mine I would bring her inside and remove the pus/mass and treat for canker as dawg recommended. Then if she wasn't drinking and eating I would tube feed her. If you don't want to wait for an order to arrive you can buy metronidazole from Petsmart, it looks like this: It also has praziquantil in it, so that will take care of any tapeworms. I have not used this myself, so check the back of the box to veryify that each pack has 250mg metronidazole and 75mg of praziquantil. -Kathy
X2

Back
Top Bottom