Grrr, Wanting Something for Nothing & No Appreciation for Fine Hand Quilting....A Rare Speckledhen

yinepu, everything you said is so true. If I charged minimum wage (or even half that) for every hour I spent on my quilts, their jaws would drop to the floor. Recently, one of my sisters in law asked what I'd charge for a king size bed quilt. I didn't quote her a price because I simply don't do king size quilts and told her I don't do those. I'm sure if I told her I'd have to charge her a minimum of $600, and a range of $600-700, depending on the complexity of what she wanted, she'd turn up her nose and walk away, having fully expected that I'd do it for free or perhaps the cost of materials, her being family and all. For family, I wouldn't do it. If I did, I'd want at least half up front, plus a premium, lol. Those people who want to pay less than $50 for a quilt have no idea how much cotton goes into one or how much it costs now. I did a quilt for my lovely friend, Ellie, who posted on this thread. Actually, I've done two for her and I tell her she is the only person on Planet Earth who has two bed quilts from me. For the last quilt, a winter/Christmas one for her queen bed in reds and greens, I had to purchase quite a bit of red, which I don't keep around here, plus the wide quilt back in flannel. The materials alone, though I did not use every single scrap of what I purchased and did use some of what I had here already, cost about $100, and folks, those are not quilt shop prices on those, either!

I fear the days of me doing bed quilts is about over-my hands are making it more and more difficult. I'm piecing one now that I had in my mind for quite awhile now, but though I did it for myself originally, I may just get the top done and sell it as a pieced top for someone else to quilt. Smaller projects suit me better these days, which is why I took on the bed runners for my neighbor and her son.

Last edited:
fisherlady, I plan to make an afghan one day. So far, I've only done scarves and fingerless gloves, and am working on a pretty shell stitch shawl.
I love scarfs! I'm sure the shawl will be beautiful and warm... when it comes to what I wear I love warm!!!! LOL

speckledhen... do you like ginger? My SO has a lot of hand pain, onset arthritis... and he swears by the candied ginger and ginger tea that I make. Through the winter especially he uses it every day and says it makes a big difference in how his hands feel. During the summer he chews the candied ginger to help combat motion sickness (caused by his B/P meds) when out on rough water in the boat.... it's good stuff!

Yes, I do like ginger. Thank you for the tip! I have used ginger tea, but never tried chewing the candied ginger before-will have to try that.

This is the shawl I'm working on for myself. It's only about 46", but needs to be another 20" longer.

oh i like that! i am a bit scarf obsessed! i have loads but sadly none hand made. i knited a little cardi for my daughter when she was born but it wasnt good lol. its the effort that counts right? :)

oh i like that! i am a bit scarf obsessed! i have loads but sadly none hand made. i knited a little cardi for my daughter when she was born but it wasnt good lol. its the effort that counts right?
smile.png

Just loving what you do counts!
thumbsup.gif
Just like chickens, quilts and crocheted scarves don't have to be "show quality" to be beautiful, useful and fun.

That is very pretty. I am also sure it took a lot of time...but people never think of that. They always seem to think that a person works for free...As in I buy the fabric and you put it together...Which is unfair.

My Grandmother made me 2 quilts. Each one took over a year. She had made several in her 45+years of quilting. We took one to an appraiser just to see what it was worth, as she never sold them, just made them for family and friends. The appraiser was impressed with the quality and said each quilt was worth between 400-700 dollars. I would say your neighbor is getting a GREAT deal, judging from the pictures you provided. I would never sell my quilts as my Grandmother passed in 2000 from bladder and liver cancer. They will be passed down to our 2 boys when they get married.

Back
Top Bottom