Grrr, Wanting Something for Nothing & No Appreciation for Fine Hand Quilting....A Rare Speckledhen

Pics

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
I was commissioned to make a bed runner for my neighbor, really a runner to protect her mother's cedar chest that graces the foot of her king size bed and to complement her current comforter, which is an abstract wash of seafoam to sagey greens mixed with rosy to almost coral pinks. I told her I'd probably have to order about $25 worth of fabric, though I'd most likely not use every little bit of it in her project, and that I would charge her $90, including the fabric, for a machine pieced and entirely hand quilted runner, truthfully, less than I would charge someone who was not a friend/neighbor. I didn't even charge her for the batting, which I had on hand here.

The final result was 30" x 80", as wide as a regular bed quilt. It is made with first quality 100% cotton quilt fabrics from Thousands of Bolts, who sells excellent fabrics at wonderful prices, often less than even Walmart's lesser quality stuff. I bought fabrics for her runner at one of their great sales, most of it less than $5 per yard, and if you know good quilt fabric, a real steal.

My neighbor works at a senior center. Apparently, she told them what I was doing for her, and without even seeing it, without knowing the size or the quality, without knowing of my skill at hand quilting (I pride myself at being very good at what I do, with 30 years experience), they started spouting off:

1)You're paying way too much for that.
2) She could get much cheaper fabric somewhere else.

I was insulted and angry. If one more person denigrates my pricing for custom hand quilted work one more time, I swear, I'm going to tell them Wally World is their friend and to go waste their money there. Would they work for less than 50 cents an hour? Of course not, but they expect me to do so and throw in the fabric for free. And if I have the fabric in my stash already, it's still not free--if I use it in their project, I cannot use it in something else and will have to replace it.

I could have found cheaper fabrics?? Where?? Not likely! The worst quality cottons at Walmart are $4 per yard, you know, the ones you can see through? Their usual prices are $5-7 per yard now and they are starting to get somewhat better quality cottons at some locations, thankfully. The cheap cottons are never a good choice in a quilt and you pay the price in other ways, even if you can save on the fabric. It doesn't quilt well nor wear/wash well.

Here is the runner in question. That outer border fabric is such wonderful heavy cotton, it feels like flannel. I got 2 yards of it for just $4.95 each, half the cost at any quilt shop in the U.S. She wanted paisleys, not much floral, a challenge with these colors, but I searched and found quite a few paisleys, including that large border fabric, in addition to flourishes, florentines, botanicals, etc. If it was going to be a bed quilt, I would have done some extra quilting in the outer border, but it will live on her cedar chest.

By the way, I told my neighbor that if she didn't like it, she didn't have to buy it and I meant it. She said she likes it and I hope she's being sincere.

Last edited:
Thank you so much, you're very kind. I have quilts made by both my grandmothers, fragile as they are now. You are right- hand quilting is a dying art. Most things are machine quilted nowadays, a skill that escapes me but which I wish I could learn. I do prefer the look of fine hand quilting to machine quilting, though the time difference in making the two is major!

I even pieced by hand up until a couple of years ago. I'd given up quilting because of my hands until then-at the time, I was still a moderator and the staff wanted to do a block swap for a lap quilt with chicken themed blocks. I declined, again because of my tingling/numb fingers, but they decided to gift me with a sweet little Brother computerized machine so I could participate and I've been doing the piecing with that ever since, which saves my hands for the quilting part. It saved my hobby.

Someone just asked if I had done a horse or chicken quilt. This is the lap quilt from that staff swap I mentioned. Of course, I didn't do all these blocks, but I did sash, quilt and bind it. I treasure it.

You may have seen the Amish quilt sites online, the prices charged, the measurements of stitches per inch. Most of the time, I can match those stitches per inch. I just feel I do not overcharge for my work, not to mention, the price of cotton has soared, along with the price of everything else. The $1/yard cotton fabric days are over. Trust me, I am very frugal, but I don't skimp on quality fabric, especially if I want a quilt that can be washed and dried by machine and will last for many, many years. I didn't take close up photos of the stitches on this particular bed runner, but here is the type quilting she got:

Last edited:
There is a local craft store here that sells crafts made my seniors...they will hand quilt a pieced quilt, for something like $150. You are charging too little for your absolutely gorgeous work. Anyone who doesn't appreciate it, and realize what it is work, isn't worth making a quilt for.

It always sort of amazes me what people are willing to pay for, and what they will not pay for. At several craft fairs my booth has been across from the kettle corn booth. People will pay $10 for a bag of popcorn which will be gone in an hour, but won't pay $5 for handmade soap or $35 for a one of a kind birdfeeder I just don't get it..

Finally got all the blocks done on my own spring quilt and arranged as they will be assembled. I do have three rows put together, but it's slow going. This is the really tedious part of it. No idea what the heck I'll do for a border yet. This is for ME, haha.

Last edited:
DW sews and smocks but she won't give dresses to certain people cuz they don't take care of them. Plus some mothers don't know what a slip is and dw always comments on the little girls who she can tell aren't wearing one.

She really should be down south where little girls still wear dresses.
Bless her! My precious aunt hand smocked my son's clothing until he turned 3, and my daughter's until she was about 12. -most treasured and loved clothing! -detailed craftsmanship was absolutely amazing. -and I totally can relate to the slip thing. -always had a matching slip underneath every dress!
smile.png
(would seem naked leaving the house without a proper slip)

So much today is not valued as it once was. Land was valued above all else at one time, too. It was life itself. Now, bigger houses on postage stamp lots are what people covet. Values have shifted in many areas and we are losing things we can never get back. So sad.

I feel your pain about the scarf. Years and years ago, I made an adorable quilted wallhanging and matching throw pillow for my in-laws, featuring their passion at the time, fishing. I even added the hanging rod so my MIL wouldn't have an excuse not to use it. This was when I did it all by hand, no machine even to piece. I never saw it again. When years later, I dared to ask what happened to it, she said she didn't know what to do with it. It was probably trashed. I learned my lesson for all time.

Last edited:
I'm the same way, I love to sit and just look over the details of a handmade piece. I collect vintage linens and doilies. I love looking over the cross-stitch and embroidery and use them as an example on how I can improve. My favorite item is an intricate doily done out of *sewing thread*. It blows my mind to sit and marvel it, the attention to detail and quality is amazing to me.

I actually have a "Treasure Chest" filled with hand made things and found items. And am looking to get a nice antique (handcrafted ;) ) Tallboy for my linens. Because thats what these handmade items are, treasures.
I love to hear someone say things like this. These arts are dying, I'm afraid. Everybody wants a quick fix, instant gratification, so they buy mass produced junk. If someone doesn't care about something handmade that I worked on, took time creating, thinking about the design of it, hurting my fingers over, suffering through carpal tunnel with to give them, I'd rather they just hand it back to me and let me give it to someone who truly does appreciate it.

Thank you so much. It's true on so many levels. One of my business partners in Blue Roo Creations found this on the web-I don't know where it came from so I'm sorry I can't give credit, but I love this so much. My own disabled veteran husband has gotten back into his oil painting after 20 years. I'm hoping he'll be producing some paintings in the future for Blue Roo. And they won't sell for $9.95, either. Here is one he did as a gift for Ladyhawk for a gift for her. It's her special rooster, Lancelot. Because this one turned out well, I made him do one of my Delaware rooster, Isaac, and it's coming out spectacularly. That one is mine, mine, MINE!
That is amazing, and a perfect description of craftsmanship and artistry. I'd like to share a little story: a few years back I decided to jump in and try my hand selling my own crocheted designs at a local craft fair. I designed and made, among other things, some little thread crochet drawstring bags. It took me many hours to design the intricate pattern, and I made up a bunch of brightly colored bags, thinking they would appeal to the younger set for holding little treasures like marbles and trinkets. Sure enough, one of my first customers was a little girl, who excitedly pulled her grandmother over to my booth to show her the bags. The grandmother took one look and remarked "those are just little crocheted bags", and she herded the disappointed little girl away. That experience still hurts to this day. But I will never give up my love of creating beautiful handmade things. It brings me such joy to create!

Back
Top Bottom