Grrr, Wanting Something for Nothing & No Appreciation for Fine Hand Quilting....A Rare Speckledhen

Pics
I have a few old hand quilted items I've bought over the years at thrift stores, really breaks my heart that somebody's treasure was discarded, knowing the time invested. They've found a good home with me, but I think of the artisan every time I use it.

Your work is beautiful. Truly.

I think it is beautiful. I love it.
thumbsup.gif
Thank you, Dana.

I have a few old hand quilted items I've bought over the years at thrift stores, really breaks my heart that somebody's treasure was discarded, knowing the time invested. They've found a good home with me, but I think of the artisan every time I use it.

Your work is beautiful. Truly.
I know what you mean. I see those all the time in flea markets and thrift stores. Thank you.

In this day of wash and wear, some folks simply just don't care.

Seriously they just don't do these kinds of things and can't see the hours spent making them. That's why when folks say "oh you could make these and sell them", I say not and make any money. You won't get the $7.25 hr per that you've spent making some things.

DW sews and smocks but she won't give dresses to certain people cuz they don't take care of them. Plus some mothers don't know what a slip is and dw always comments on the little girls who she can tell aren't wearing one.

She really should be down south where little girls still wear dresses.

Right now it's so cold here, if I had the money I'd be so outta here. DW says if I get rid of the chickens I can go down to FL and stay with my son and his for the winter.

DW sews and smocks but she won't give dresses to certain people cuz they don't take care of them. Plus some mothers don't know what a slip is and dw always comments on the little girls who she can tell aren't wearing one.

She really should be down south where little girls still wear dresses.
Bless her! My precious aunt hand smocked my son's clothing until he turned 3, and my daughter's until she was about 12. -most treasured and loved clothing! -detailed craftsmanship was absolutely amazing. -and I totally can relate to the slip thing. -always had a matching slip underneath every dress!
smile.png
(would seem naked leaving the house without a proper slip)

That is beautiful! You did amazing work on all the pieces shown.

It makes me sad that people are now so used to cheap slave labor made in china poor quality junk that they do not know the value of hand made.

That is beautiful! You did amazing work on all the pieces shown.

It makes me sad that people are now so used to cheap slave labor made in china poor quality junk that they do not know the value of hand made.

Thank you so much. It's true on so many levels. One of my business partners in Blue Roo Creations found this on the web-I don't know where it came from so I'm sorry I can't give credit, but I love this so much.

My own disabled veteran husband has gotten back into his oil painting after 20 years. I'm hoping he'll be producing some paintings in the future for Blue Roo. And they won't sell for $9.95, either. Here is one he did as a gift for Ladyhawk for a gift for her. It's her special rooster, Lancelot. Because this one turned out well, I made him do one of my Delaware rooster, Isaac, and it's coming out spectacularly. That one is mine, mine, MINE!

I LOVE that quote. and I LOVE that painting! Absolutely beautiful.

I have started making hand made things to sell. I don't have a particular nitche right now, just whatever I feel like making. As I finish I am just listing them on Etsy for what I want, and just waiting. I actually sold one shawl and had interest in another.
big_smile.png

For 4H we had a gift exchange and I made home made fleece lined with minky and faux fur scarves. The girl who got one of my scarves actually wrinkled her nose at it and was trying everything to get some one to trade with her. It really made me mad. I spend several hours making scarves, probably spent a good 45 minutes on that one scarf alone because you have to pin minky and faux fir alot, and that spoiled brat actually wrinkled her nose at it because it was not store bought! I really wanted to give her a lecture....
rant.gif

What is worse, my daughter came home with a stupid "Twilight, Edward" poster. My daughter is 9 and has never heard of Twilight.

Next year I am just giving a gift certificate for free knitting lessons or something. I refuse to go to the dollar store and buy cheep made in China junk.

I am so glad that some one valued your chest runner!!

So much today is not valued as it once was. Land was valued above all else at one time, too. It was life itself. Now, bigger houses on postage stamp lots are what people covet. Values have shifted in many areas and we are losing things we can never get back. So sad.

I feel your pain about the scarf. Years and years ago, I made an adorable quilted wallhanging and matching throw pillow for my in-laws, featuring their passion at the time, fishing. I even added the hanging rod so my MIL wouldn't have an excuse not to use it. This was when I did it all by hand, no machine even to piece. I never saw it again. When years later, I dared to ask what happened to it, she said she didn't know what to do with it. It was probably trashed. I learned my lesson for all time.

Last edited:
Oh I hear ya on that one... I've had that happen too.

Then there are some that just really appreciate what was made. My friend made a baby blanket for my daughter.. which she still has and uses 16 years later.

Maybe it's something treasured a bit more by those who also craft/create. I really love well made pieces. Like beadwork or crochet/knit work where they transition or cast off a piece and it's so well done that you have to look hard to find it. Maybe I am just weird.. but I just marvel at details like that.

Back
Top Bottom