Grrr, Wanting Something for Nothing & No Appreciation for Fine Hand Quilting....A Rare Speckledhen

speckledhen....
as others have said, ignore the negativity, it is the result of ignorance. The only other possibility is someone is basing the opinion on work they knew to be done years ago when this art form was still widely practiced, and in reality that also is ignorance (though not ill intentioned) of the increase in expenses for everything involved in the process.

What you created was a beautiful piece of art which is actually designed to coordinate with someone's specific taste... that alone makes it a much more valuable piece. The care and skill involved are above and beyond even the individuality of it in value!
Be proud of your ability and product, and stick up for yourself when others try to bring you down... you know what your skills are worth, if they don't then they are the ones missing out! Let them try to find something even near your quality work if they think they can! They will be the ones getting an eye opening.

I'm glad you posted, I will remember your skills if I ever need any quilting done!

Beautiful work!

Thank you so much, you're very kind. I have quilts made by both my grandmothers, fragile as they are now. You are right- hand quilting is a dying art. Most things are machine quilted nowadays, a skill that escapes me but which I wish I could learn. I do prefer the look of fine hand quilting to machine quilting, though the time difference in making the two is major!

I even pieced by hand up until a couple of years ago. I'd given up quilting because of my hands until then-at the time, I was still a moderator and the staff wanted to do a block swap for a lap quilt with chicken themed blocks. I declined, again because of my tingling/numb fingers, but they decided to gift me with a sweet little Brother computerized machine so I could participate and I've been doing the piecing with that ever since, which saves my hands for the quilting part. It saved my hobby.

Someone just asked if I had done a horse or chicken quilt. This is the lap quilt from that staff swap I mentioned. Of course, I didn't do all these blocks, but I did sash, quilt and bind it. I treasure it.

You may have seen the Amish quilt sites online, the prices charged, the measurements of stitches per inch. Most of the time, I can match those stitches per inch. I just feel I do not overcharge for my work, not to mention, the price of cotton has soared, along with the price of everything else. The $1/yard cotton fabric days are over. Trust me, I am very frugal, but I don't skimp on quality fabric, especially if I want a quilt that can be washed and dried by machine and will last for many, many years. I didn't take close up photos of the stitches on this particular bed runner, but here is the type quilting she got:

Last edited:
Wow thats georgeous. id treasure it too! i wish i could make something like that, might try and learn when i have time for a hobbie.
smile.png
doubt i could ever make something so good thou. you cant put too high a price on skill and experience.

Thank you. I've taken up a second hobby, one I never thought I'd have any interest in, crochet. I don't care for most cutsey crocheted items, but some of the lovely shawls and scarves are wonderful, so I'm doing that now, too. In fact, generally, it's easier on my hands and much cheaper to do.

Thank you. I've taken up a second hobby, one I never thought I'd have any interest in, crochet. I don't care for most cutsey crocheted items, but some of the lovely shawls and scarves are wonderful, so I'm doing that now, too. In fact, generally, it's easier on my hands and much cheaper to do.
My Mom has done crocheting and knitting... I love the crocheted afghans she has done... they are the warmest!! The color variations possible with crochet afghans are unlimitted, and many, many patterns to suit any taste!

my mum knits and crochets shes done many a cardi and jumper for my children and i get lots of compliments on them. people always ask where did you buy that? when i say my mum made it they all ask oh could she make one for me? she used to be flattered but after a couple i started saying no sorry she cant. people think if you can make something yourself it should be free! when its quite the opposite! it should cost more.

my mum knits and crochets shes done many a cardi and jumper for my children and i get lots of compliments on them. people always ask where did you buy that? when i say my mum made it they all ask oh could she make one for me? she used to be flattered but after a couple i started saying no sorry she cant. people think if you can make something yourself it should be free! when its quite the opposite! it should cost more.
I wonder why that is? Mass production items are far cheaper to produce for the big commercial entities. A special custom handmade item should always cost more and will cost more to produce. People don't realize they are taking advantage of the crafter to expect them to give away their time, efforts, talents and materials. I have given crafted gifts to special people, both quilted and crocheted, and I love to do that, but for someone to expect it really sours me on making those things that usually bring me so much pleasure.

Seems to me that it's the same crowd that wants you to give them eggs from your chickens for free, when you must buy cartons and feed and maintain the flock on a daily basis to keep them healthy for those great tasting, healthy eggs they want for nothing.

fisherlady, I plan to make an afghan one day. So far, I've only done scarves and fingerless gloves, and am working on a pretty shell stitch shawl.

Last edited:
true about the eggs but as my children and i are vegan, we hardly ever use them. i only have 3 hens but those eggs will mount up on me. then im grateful to give them away to anyone who'll take em! lol thou im never short of takers :)

Back in the 70's I made a trip to Lancaster Pennsylvania and stopped at one of the Amish run shops. They had lovely quilts there and NONE (not even the smallest) were priced under $ 250.

Then in the 80's and 90's I was organizing and selling at craft shows. I was amazed that people would gripe and complain that the quilts that the ladies were selling were not being offered for $25 to 35. (how dare they ask more than 100 for something they had spent months making!)
I heard one woman comment that those made by non-Amish should sell for much less considering the ladies who were making them were using machines.
So I turned to her and asked her if she felt slave labor was ok... she seemed horrified and told me that there was no way would she ever buy something made by slave labor.. so I told her that if she expected these ladies to sell their quilts for 25 or 35 that's exactly what she would be getting.. heck the material in those quilts cost more than what she was offering to pay!

It just amazes me that most people feel that you should sell things you spend hours and hours creating for less than the cost of materials.. If you were to charge minimum wage for hours spent plus add in the cost of materials I think they would die of a heart attack if you asked them to pay even that

Speckled you do lovely work.. They should be proud to be able to get any of the things you make.. and if they can't appreciate them then let them do without!.. I don't think they can even buy a cheapie comforter at Walmart for less than $ 45. anymore (and that's on clearance).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom