Grrr, Wanting Something for Nothing & No Appreciation for Fine Hand Quilting....A Rare Speckledhen

Pics
I finally finished binding this lap quilt, all machine quilted. Not bad, just not much pizazz in the quilting. As soon as I get my own bed quilt out of the way (much slooooower hand quilting, of course), I will be back to trying to free motion again.

You priced up front and it was agreed upon. I think the pricing is fair and "cheap" fabrics are not the same as good fabric at a great price. My mother quilts so I am aware of the work involved... and I have dabble in some sewing so understand the "cheap" fabric results. It is beautifully done and bad manners to come back and tell you the comments she received. You have a life so taking the time away from your other stuff to do the quilt has a price too. Pfft .. some people.

You priced up front and it was agreed upon. I think the pricing is fair and "cheap" fabrics are not the same as good fabric at a great price. My mother quilts so I am aware of the work involved... and I have dabble in some sewing so understand the "cheap" fabric results. It is beautifully done and bad manners to come back and tell you the comments she received. You have a life so taking the time away from your other stuff to do the quilt has a price too. Pfft .. some people.

Thank you, Sherol. And welcome to BYC! I see you completely understand the situation. I agree, some people, sheesh. I try to avoid doing work for the ones I think are going to be "those" people but sometimes, you just can't tell ahead of time.

I have a hobby of raising bettas to a standard and showing them.. so I have extra fish to sell. And I use the USPS shipping boxes that are "free". BUT.. I have to buy and cut the insulation that goes in them, it takes my time to pack the fish and now that I am in the country it takes an additional half hour on a hour drive in to work to get them to the post office. And I get flack when I charge $5 box fee. The box is NOT free when you look at what goes into it. So totally understand the push back you get from people. My attitude pay or take your business somewhere else... lol. I do not have to sell as this is just a hobby just as you did not have to take your time either.

Your work is just beautiful and I would have been honored to have some one able to do that quality of work accept my request.

I have a hobby of raising bettas to a standard and showing them.. so I have extra fish to sell. And I use the USPS shipping boxes that are "free". BUT.. I have to buy and cut the insulation that goes in them, it takes my time to pack the fish and now that I am in the country it takes an additional half hour on a hour drive in to work to get them to the post office. And I get flack when I charge $5 box fee. The box is NOT free when you look at what goes into it. So totally understand the push back you get from people. My attitude pay or take your business somewhere else... lol. I do not have to sell as this is just a hobby just as you did not have to take your time either.

Your work is just beautiful and I would have been honored to have some one able to do that quality of work accept my request.
Agreed on the packing. Same with hatching eggs-to pack them properly is time-consuming but very necessary.

Thank you for the nice compliment!

You are always so sweet, thank you. I'm not sure what to do with it, to tell the truth. I may just find a final border fabric and be done with it, leave it a huge square.

I find that I have very little space to do larger quilts. My tiny 2nd bedroom/office is just not conducive to what I'd like to do with it, no room for an "L" shaped table set up, not with what's in there. It also has two doors, plus small closet and two windows, plus a huge outcropping box-like thing that makes head room for the basement stairs (there is no hallway in this house, no wasted space at all) that takes away floor space. Suffice it to say, it's a challenge to rearrange. I may be stuck with lap up to twin quilts and that's it. Just have to do what I can with what I have, I guess.

Right now, I'm binding my fall colors lap quilt. Finally got some brown fabric to make the binding.

Back when I had room I could spread out big quilt tops like this one - my daughter did virology research during her first degree, so I made her a western blot quilt for graduation. I had the outer fabric border custom printed from pictures she had sent me of cells she did immunoflourescence on to show which cells took up the viral DNA she was studying. I made it big, so that she could use it as she headed out into the real world and got her own place and a larger bed. I don't have that kind of space anymore... Sigh... I need a bigger house...

@LadyHawkeAvry , years ago, I spread out my friend Ellie's winter quilt on the basement floor (had two rugs, one on top of the other), but that was before my son dumped some of his stuff here and ran off to Korea. It was nice to be able to lay it out flat that way.

Interesting quilt you did-I love it when they have real meaning to them like that! My current bed quilt had to be laid on top of my bed to pin-baste it, not optimal but at the time, the basement floor was not clear enough to get down there again. It was either that or not do it, so I chose to do it the only way available at the time.

@LadyHawkeAvry , years ago, I spread out my friend Ellie's winter quilt on the basement floor (had two rugs, one on top of the other), but that was before my son dumped some of his stuff here and ran off to Korea. It was nice to be able to lay it out flat that way.

Interesting quilt you did-I love it when they have real meaning to them like that! My current bed quilt had to be laid on top of my bed to pin-baste it, not optimal but at the time, the basement floor was not clear enough to get down there again. It was either that or not do it, so I chose to do it the only way available at the time.
I always end up pinning the bed. Tried the living room, pinned the carpet a lot, and didn't have enough space for a queen sized monstrosity like that because of all that pesky furniture...

Back
Top Bottom