Grrr, Wanting Something for Nothing & No Appreciation for Fine Hand Quilting....A Rare Speckledhen

Pics
Gorgeous, love it on that bed!

Thanks, me, too.

I had posted some closeout quilts from my temporarily down Etsy Shop on a local Facebook yard sale site. A couple are real bargains, one is daybed /twin size for $85. A lady asked how much to make her 3 year old son a twin size quilt for his birthday (Nov 7, not much time) in certain colors. I answered her last night and she hasn't responded. My usual prices for custom quilts are not the bargain basement prices for the closeouts, but I'm betting she thought she'd get one for something along those lines. A twin quilt made in 3 weeks is not going to cost you less than $100. My usual prices for that size, machine quilted, are $250-300 and that's what I quoted her. If it was hand quilted, forget 3 weeks and forget those prices, too, right?

Last edited:
Thanks, me, too.

I had posted some closeout quilts from my temporarily down Etsy Shop on a local Facebook yard sale site. A couple are real bargains, one is daybed /twin size for $85. A lady asked how much to make her 3 year old son a twin size quilt for his birthday (Nov 7, not much time) in certain colors. I answered her last night and she hasn't responded. My usual prices for custom quilts are not the bargain basement prices for the closeouts, but I'm betting she thought she'd get one for something along those lines. A twin quilt made in 3 weeks is not going to cost you less than $100. My usual prices for that size, machine quilted, are $250-300 and that's what I quoted her. If it was hand quilted, forget 3 weeks and forget those prices, too, right?

Right! Those who don't quilt don't understand the time you put into it....if you got paid for your time no one would ever be able to afford one. My mother quilted and did beautiful work but mostly for her children and grandchildren.

Here's the one quilt my mom did for me when I was a teenager...about 35 years ago. I love it! It's been in the closet for awhile as I don't want it used since I will never have another from my mom. I come from a family of 12 kids and 27 grandkids so she got better with each quilt.

Here's the one quilt my mom did for me when I was a teenager...about 35 years ago. I love it! It's been in the closet for awhile as I don't want it used since I will never have another from my mom. I come from a family of 12 kids and 27 grandkids so she got better with each quilt.
How nice! I have one Sunbonnet Sue from my own grandmother, pink sashing, not able to be used because it's too fragile.

Funny thing, the folks I hesitate to give my quilts to are family. They, generally, are the ones who don't seem to appreciate it. Last year, I made something for everyone, broke my own rule "no quilts for family". I gave a pretty winter-themed table runner to a niece. Within a few minutes, she'd turned it face down on the floor and her kid was running trucks on it. Maybe she allows her kid to act that way and treat her things like that at home, I have no idea, but I'd have been mortified if my kid did that right in front of the person who had made the piece and just given it to me. Not even a "thank you" in passing. Well, I learned my lesson.

Does this look like some 4 yr old's toy to you?

No, I would love someone to give me that.

Thanks. It was something small, but it took thought, time, materials and labor as all quilts do. It's not that I am wanting something in return, just simple respect, maybe a smidge of appreciation. But, it was sort of a test, in a way. Major fail for some, others might get something in the future, though that remains to be seen. My nephew (the same niece's brother) and his wife gushed and gushed over the baby quilt I made for their little girl. And they use it, as quilts are meant to be. Gushing is not required, just a simple "thanks" (and not to toss it on the floor in front of me might also be nice.)

Thanks. It was something small, but it took thought, time,  materials and labor as all quilts do. It's not that I am wanting something in return, just simple respect, maybe a smidge of appreciation. But, it was sort of a test, in a way. Major fail for some, others might get something in the future, though that remains to be seen. My nephew (the same niece's brother) and his wife gushed and gushed over the baby quilt I made for their little girl. And they use it, as quilts are meant to be. Gushing is not required, just a simple "thanks" (and not to toss it on the floor in front of me might also be nice.)

It makes you feel great when they gush though
1f609.png

I gave a family member what I thought was a beautiful shirt. He made a face. I asked if it was the wrong size or....." In reply I got "I hate it." Good thing I don't have feelings.
hit.gif
This was an adult professional person.

People should just say 'thank you," and out of sight do what they want with it.

Thanks. It was something small, but it took thought, time, materials and labor as all quilts do. It's not that I am wanting something in return, just simple respect, maybe a smidge of appreciation. But, it was sort of a test, in a way. Major fail for some, others might get something in the future, though that remains to be seen. My nephew (the same niece's brother) and his wife gushed and gushed over the baby quilt I made for their little girl. And they use it, as quilts are meant to be. Gushing is not required, just a simple "thanks" (and not to toss it on the floor in front of me might also be nice.)

I cannot understand why someone would want to throw something like one of these on the floor to begin with. I guess that it would be the same type of people walk right next to a trash recepticle on the street corners and then throw their trash on the ground instead.

Back
Top Bottom