Grrr, Wanting Something for Nothing & No Appreciation for Fine Hand Quilting....A Rare Speckledhen

Pics
@speckledhen oh yes, I know that quilt-as-you-go thing. I am trying to learn how to do that! I've done it on smaller projects and now I need to see if I can get it to work for larger ones.

I have not been on the forum in ages but I posted on this thread a while back to admire your gorgeous quilts and now I'm glad I did so I can catch up and see all the great stuff you've been up to! Awesome! I am trying to learn how to quilt with my machine. You are getting SO GOOD at it! Wow! Makes me feel like maybe I can learn too. Very inspiring!

I'm currently working on a queen-size quilt. It's going to take me forever to piece it but I think the design is really pretty. I had so hoped to have it on the bed by now but no such luck, too many other things that other people think I should be doing.
roll.png
Funny how easy it is for someone else to decide how you should spend your time!
tongue.png
But I will get it one of these days.

Hey, Zoomie! Of course you can learn to machine quilt. If I can do it with my "machine phobia", anybody can. I recommend videos on Youtube by Leah Day for learning to machine quilt. She does amazing work and does have videos for beginners. I sure wish I'd had Youtube when I was originally learning to quilt in the 80's. Seeing it sure helps you learn. Would love to see that queen size quilt when you get it finished.

Thank you, I will check out those videos! I know what you mean, I could never get the hang of that binding tool thingie until I watched a Youtube video. LOL! How did I ever survive without a computer?

I will post pics when I finish piecing it. It is a kit quilt. I never thought I'd be interested but it's very intricate and not something I would be able to do on my own. The pieces are already cut out! Which is great because there are about a million of them!! This is what it looks like when it's done, this is just a pic they have to advertise it:

Thank you, I will check out those videos! I know what you mean, I could never get the hang of that binding tool thingie until I watched a Youtube video. LOL! How did I ever survive without a computer?

I will post pics when I finish piecing it. It is a kit quilt. I never thought I'd be interested but it's very intricate and not something I would be able to do on my own. The pieces are already cut out! Which is great because there are about a million of them!! This is what it looks like when it's done, this is just a pic they have to advertise it:

Wow, that's a really pretty kit you're doing! I've done two kits, well, I think maybe three of them. They turned out very nice, too, but that one is just visually stunning. Good luck with it!

I'm working on a 3D quilt,

here is the first block

I
I have the second block almost finished, I found a mistake and now I have fallen in love with my seam ripper
he.gif

here is the pattern

here is the link https://www.google.com/search?q=lab...X&ved=0ahUKEwjo04D518_QAhVs34MKHTDRAK4QsAQIGg
the finished top quilt pic disappears when I submit the post

I remember you showing us that block and I LOVE IT! It's gorgeous. I have done attic windows and a couple of blocks that are sort of 3D-looking, but not to that degree. This one sort of verges on having that dimensional-look, not technically 3D like yours is:

@katsdar @speckledhen I like those blocks! That 3-D is really a cool look. I love effects like that when you simply use color in a clever way. I've always wanted to do an attic windows, but have not yet found the perfect fabric for it.

And thank you, speckledhen, I was really taken with that pattern and thought it would be a gorgeous quilt. So far I am impressed with the directions, they work, although of course you do have to read them. I must admit it sure saves time to use the kit; some of those pieces are tiny and it would have been difficult to cut them accurately.

@katsdar @speckledhen I like those blocks! That 3-D is really a cool look. I love effects like that when you simply use color in a clever way. I've always wanted to do an attic windows, but have not yet found the perfect fabric for it.

And thank you, speckledhen, I was really taken with that pattern and thought it would be a gorgeous quilt. So far I am impressed with the directions, they work, although of course you do have to read them. I must admit it sure saves time to use the kit; some of those pieces are tiny and it would have been difficult to cut them accurately.

I had never done a kit until a friend sent me a huge box of fabric and there were kits in it. I pieced this one, which another friend bought from me and quilted. It's called Posey Park and was HUGE!

@speckledhen oh isn't that gorgeous! I love blocks with points like that, and that border is really cool. What a nice friend to send you all that fabric! And what a great find, that there were kits in there. Major fun, too, I bet!
thumbsup.gif

@speckledhen oh isn't that gorgeous! I love blocks with points like that, and that border is really cool. What a nice friend to send you all that fabric! And what a great find, that there were kits in there. Major fun, too, I bet!
thumbsup.gif

It was sure involved, but then, to do a kit, you have to be able to read and follow directions to the letter. The directions on every kit I've done have been very good, which helps

OH, wait! That wasn't the entire quilt! I found the whole thing later in my folder! I kept thinking something wasn't right, but it's been a long time since I did it.

Last edited:
These were also kits. The first one, I pieced and sent the top back to her for her own bed since she had already begun cutting the pieces and they were in little ziplocks in the kit.

This kit was in a box of fabric sent to me by another sweet lady here on BYC. I made the entire thing and sent it back to her since it was a smaller wallhanging.

Back
Top Bottom