Grrr, Wanting Something for Nothing & No Appreciation for Fine Hand Quilting....A Rare Speckledhen

Pics
Oh my it's perfect and I love the heart color for the home fires buring. My husband's grandmother made a log cabin quilt and she used different shades of reds in the center for the home of the heart fireplace burning. I loved that. You read me perfectly.

Oh, wonderful! I was a little worried when I saw the pinks you showed in the photo, but the rosy colors I have here were the way I interpreted what you were looking for. At first, I was going to use some beige-gold prints I had as the centers, but it just was not right. The deep rose colors set off the blocks the way I envisioned them. Of course, tradition says log cabin blocks should have either yellow or red for the center, but I'm a rebel, usually. I had the perfect shade of rose already here. Hopefully, there is enough of it for every center to be the exact same, but if not, I have an almost identical one that could take up the slack.

wonderful

Oh, wonderful! I was a little worried when I saw the pinks you showed in the photo, but the rosy colors I have here were the way I interpreted what you were looking for. At first, I was going to use some beige-gold prints I had as the centers, but it just was not right. The deep rose colors set off the blocks the way I envisioned them. Of course, tradition says log cabin blocks should have either yellow or red for the center, but I'm a rebel, usually.  I had the perfect shade of rose already here. Hopefully, there is enough of it for every center to be the exact same, but if not, I have an almost identical one that could take up the slack.
you are right on the target with your colors. I dont care much for light pink, I am not Paris Hilton. But it was a thought in a bind for Something coordinating. Roses red and roses pink to fuchsia. Teal too, Not washed out Aqua. Love your selection for me thank you.

Last edited:
I'm using more rosy pinks than pink-pinks. They vary into a rosy fuchsia at the darkest. And the teals vary from turquoise to light teal, medium teal to aqua. And the two Paris prints have all those colors in them. I think it will be very pretty. I want more teals, though, hard to find right now. Don't want it to veer too much into blue or be too light aqua.

Here are the first two blocks. Now, these two may not be side by side after I make the rest and arrange them all, but this is the way the top two are usually turned/started in the barn raising arrangement in the log cabin. It's going to be gorgeous. I like these colors a lot together. It's hard to see with just two, but the overall "smash-up" will come together and you'll love it, I bet. I already know I will! I just need to find a few more fabrics in these color families and I have time. This quilt will take about 48 +/- blocks or so, depending on how the pattern works out.
Very nice colors.

I'm still searching for more variety in the colors but this gives you an idea of the way the design begins to form. So, which way do you prefer? I flipped the colors in the second photo. These will be interspersed throughout the quilt, hopefully, not always the same fabric in two blocks touching, but it may be necessary at times, if I cannot find the variety I need. And it's really hard to order online when you really need a specific color.

I'm still searching for more variety in the colors but this gives you an idea of the way the design begins to form. So, which way do you prefer? I flipped the colors in the second photo. These will be interspersed throughout the quilt, hopefully, not always the same fabric in two blocks touching, but it may be necessary at times, if I cannot find the variety I need. And it's really hard to order online when you really need a specific color.

I have ordered yarn for crochet, knitting, weaving and embroidery thread online. But I must get answers prior to ordering. Looking beautiful.

Last edited:
I have ordered yarn for crochet, knitting, weaving and embroidery thread online. But I must get answers prior to ordering. Looking beautiful.

I've ordered yarn online, too, but rarely need a specific color. I used to order fabric from Thousands of Bolts quite a bit and they are an awesome company, all wonderful quality fabrics, unlike JoAnn where you may be disappointed in the fabric, unless you can determine the manufacturer. But, I've ordered fabrics that were listed as browns that technically were, however, they really veered to the grayish side. Beautiful and always great quality, but monitors throw off the tones and it's sort of open to interpretation. I asked my husband, who is an artist, about a certain fabric. He doesn't understand "rose" other than rose red. He thinks rose means red-red. I had to show him that rose is really a red that veers to the pinkish side, but he didn't get it. Plus, I truly believe that men and women see color differently. So, if a man says a color is one thing, I can pretty much bet I'll see it differently. I can see the green tint in a gray where my husband sees just gray. We've had numerous discussions about a color, trust me, LOL.

The fluorescent lighting in stores can skew the colors a tad, but nothing like a computer monitor. So, if I truly need a particular shade of a color, I want to choose it in person, unless I just plan to order, take my chances and if they don't work, throw it in my stash for future use. I may do that. Shipping cost adds to any savings online, too. Thousands of Bolts has much better prices in the first place than JoAnn Fabrics. Walmart beats them both but is very, very limited. And quilt shops are ridiculously overpriced. I found a gorgeous French rooster print at Walmart for $4.97/yd. The exact fabric at JoAnn online at regular price is $12.97, quilt shop prices. Even on sale, they can't beat Walmart.

Wow that is a huge difference Per yard
Madder Rose is one of the main colors in my color pallet of tubes. Red comes in so many shades. I never was a screaming fire engine red person. That orange red is just not me. Prefer the cooling down that fire engine red with a bit of softening. Just not a pale Pink person. Cotton candy is too sweet. Not me I have more fire in my belly But not a screaming look at me fire engine red.

Last edited:
Wow that is a huge difference Per yard
Madder Rose is one of the main colors in my color pallet of tubes. Red comes in so many shades. I never was a screaming fire engine red person. That orange red is just not me. Prefer the cooling down that fire engine red with a bit of softening. Just not a pale Pink person. Cotton candy is too sweet. Not me I have more fire in my belly But not a screaming look at me fire engine red.
Actually, red, as in Christmas red, is my least favorite color. Yellow is second to that. I like rose colors. I like soft buttery golds. When Ellie asked me to do her "winter" quilt (we joked about it because we don't participate in the holiday and I loathe Christmas fabrics, so did not use any of those, only "winter" fabrics, nothing with any Christmas-specific patterns), I had to buy a LOT of reds because I don't stock those, generally. But, green, on the other hand is my favorite color. Again, I am not a Christmas green fan, but I like woodsy greens and sage greens. Didn't use sages, of course, but I had some greens that worked in it. Cost me about $100 to buy enough different reds and other greens I didn't have to complete her quilt (she got me a gift card from ThousandsofBolts to buy them, but I had a few of my own on hand I used, too). When I did her faux watercolor quilt for spring/summer, someone on BYC, a very super thoughtful lady sent me a box of fabrics to use. Watercolor quilts use a myriad of different fabrics, very splashy florals, which I also rarely stock. Here is the watercolor quilt I did for Ellie in case you didn't see it:

beautiful
Glad you're liking it.

Back
Top Bottom