Grrr, Wanting Something for Nothing & No Appreciation for Fine Hand Quilting....A Rare Speckledhen

Pics
[quote name="speckledhen"
[/quote]
Looking nice.
Always I prefer Cotton. But wondering about it holding shape with just the center of each square anchoring it. I have done a little work on my Husband's grandmothers quilt. She used a cotton blanket inside to give it heft. Amazingly it has needed little repair work and I remember her making and giving to him over 45 years ago. Nice.

Quote: I don't know what you mean by "the center of each square anchoring it". It will have an all-over pattern done with machine so any batting will be "well-seated".

Today's cotton battings are much, much better than the old ones our grandmothers used, which did tend to separate into parts, but I have rarely used 100% cotton anyway. The blends are really nice. I've used quite a few straight polyesters lately, which is less expensive by a bit, but some say over the years, they will pull apart more than the cotton or cotton-polys. The quilt shop lady recommends something with cotton in it over polys.

I don't know what you mean by "the center of each square anchoring it". It will have an all-over pattern done with machine so any batting will be "well-seated".

Today's cotton battings are much, much better than the old ones our grandmothers used, which did tend to separate into parts, but I have rarely used 100% cotton anyway. The blends are really nice. I've used quite a few straight polyesters lately, which is less expensive by a bit, but some say over the years, they will pull apart more than the cotton or cotton-polys. The quilt shop lady recommends something with cotton in it over polys.
What ever you think is best. I prefer all natural cotton, colors such as Rose & Hot pink and Teal & Turquoise to be blue toned and not yellow toned. I keep
Seeing fabrics at wall Mart onsale for 1.98 a yard or not on sale for 2.98 a yard. I went to three Walmarts each in a different county and they all have the same fabrics, one has way more bolts of fabrics than the other two. So I know each WalMart is not equal. I have been tempted to pick up fabric and ship to you. I did buy a small bolt of 8 yards still
In its plastic wrap called Lipstick at 2.98 a yard. Plans to pick up Hot Pink, Teal & Turquoise next week for Cathedral Window Quilt. That does not require a cotton blanket inside. The layers of fabric work for warmth. I plan to go at it soon as I get together all that is needed. No plans to use unbleached muslim this time around. I do appreciate hand quilting and have not a clue how I would use a sewing machine for a Cathedral Window quilt but Every Log Cabin quilt I have ever seen is always done on a sewing machine so ai am glad you are using a sewing machine for the log cabin quilt for many reasons.

Last edited:
What ever you think is best.

If we get to go to Hobby Lobby this weekend, I'll check their cotton-poly blends. I think that's a good choice, as long as you're okay with it. I'll see what thread they have. I have some gray but I don't know if it's the super light dove gray this would need.

I am so happy to hear it will have an all over pattern stitched in.

I can do dewdrops or just random loop-de-loops or a combination of them. They will be random, though, not uniform as if a computer did them, since it's very organic, with me pushing the quilt through the throat of the machine. My friend Ellie says it's really just one step past hand quilting since the machine controls nothing, only me.

I use masking tape and section off part at a time, quilt inside that section, then move the tape and do another section. The hardest part is the middle of the quilt since my machine throat is only 9" and the bunching of the rest of it makes it difficult to move freely, but it gets easier after the main center. Not sure how long the quilting will take because I do take frequent breaks due to shoulder/neck strain. I find if I don't, I begin to lose control more than I like. But, I usually have one this size finished in a week or less after I begin the quilting process.

NOTE TO SELF: get more large medium size basting pins at Hobby Lobby.

Oh dew drops sounds pretty

It's sort of like tear drops, one within another connected by meadering curvy lines like they are vined together, and just keeps on going. It's not a hard one to do, one of my favorites. My designs are what I guess you'd call "rustic", usually.

Last edited:
Watching the progression on the quilt. It's very nice. Our house colors are mainly shades of rose, pinks, and greens.

Thank you, JanetMarie. I have loved spring colors forever. It was hard when I first began quilting to use anything else so I would ask folks, "What quilt color combination would you like to see?" and I'd have a direction to go that was out of my usual comfort zone. My favorite combination is sage and lavender, but I love the teal/turquoise/aqua shades.

Back
Top Bottom