Grrr, Wanting Something for Nothing & No Appreciation for Fine Hand Quilting....A Rare Speckledhen

Pics
I don't know much about homemade, or hand stitched quilting. I appreciate both how your work on the machine, and your hand stitching looks.

You're sweet, thank you. Honestly, I think this may be my last queen size. It's hard to do on the machine and takes a long time to do by hand. I have 26 blocks done this a.m. but having to take a lot of breaks due to the arm/shoulder/neck strain it takes to muscle the bulk through the machine. And you don't have the control when there's that much bulk pulling away from the needle area.

I love creating the tops and I don't mind quilting smaller projects. I do love the end result in both, though, usually. I am auctioning a bed runner I did where the thread tension messed up and I didn't catch it right away. It's not noticeable on the front and barely on the back in a very limited area. But I am not 100% happy with it so I put up a $150 bed runner for auction starting at $45. I fight my perfectionism daily. It can really get in the way!

People nowadays think Wally World is everything my sister does crochet so I ask her to make a bedspread for my wife in her favorite colors and how much she would charge she said it would cost about 50-60 dollars in thread and that's all she wanted for it but you know the time and effort is in it and being her brother she still deserves something. So I handed her a 100 dollar bill and said here this should cover it. Knowing that it's worth more I was just putting out the money for the material. We had talked about her two chickens outside as she was wanting to get some biddies the next spring so I knew that she wanted buffs so I knew then that she would have some that spring. After I left her house I ordered about 25 for the first hatching that spring. Then when I picked up the bedspread she had some extra material so she made two pillow covers and had about 30 dollars left I said that's for your and your brooder you need to get ready for the biddies you have on the way and I told her the date as to when they were coming. So to make my point the love and effort you put into personalized handmade items like your quilts are worth a heck of a lot more that people will admit so don't let them tell you different you did an outstanding job and actually deserve more than what you ask!

People nowadays think Wally World is everything my sister does crochet so I ask her to make a bedspread for my wife in her favorite colors and how much she would charge she said it would cost about 50-60 dollars in thread and that's all she wanted for it but you know the time and effort is in it and being her brother she still deserves something. So I handed her a 100 dollar bill and said here this should cover it. Knowing that it's worth more I was just putting out the money for the material. We had talked about her two chickens outside as she was wanting to get some biddies the next spring so I knew that she wanted buffs so I knew then that she would have some that spring. After I left her house I ordered about 25 for the first hatching that spring. Then when I picked up the bedspread she had some extra material so she made two pillow covers and had about 30 dollars left I said that's for your and your brooder you need to get ready for the biddies you have on the way and I told her the date as to when they were coming. So to make my point the love and effort you put into personalized handmade items like your quilts are worth a heck of a lot more that people will admit so don't let them tell you different you did an outstanding job and actually deserve more than what you ask!

First of all, welcome to BYC, fellow Georgian! You're almost as far south as I am north in GA. Thank you for the compliments and support. The story about your sister was very sweet. So nice of you to order her some Buffs! I also crochet so I know how much work goes into that as well. It seems to me that family sometimes appreciates your efforts the least of all. It's almost as if they expect you'll do something for them-certainly you are an exception! But, you understand what I'm saying.

I do have another great niece or nephew coming from one of my nephews and his wife- their baby girl got a baby quilt so this one will, too, but they were in awe over it, loved it and appreciated it. The ones who didn't appreciate what they received just won't get more from me. It's just too much work when even strangers would be more grateful for a handmade quilted piece than the family members in question.

Wow, everyone seems to know what your charging and keep saying it is not enough. Some posts verge on almost insulting. Especially someone whom pays just for the materials for a crochet cover and then Says your not charging enough? Do you mind my asking what are you charging for the Quilt?

Wow, everyone seems to know what your charging and keep saying it is not enough. Some posts verge on almost insulting. Especially someone whom pays just for the materials for a crochet cover and then Says your not charging enough? Do you mind my asking what are you charging for the Quilt?

No, honey, you misunderstood-they're talking about the bed runner that is the subject of this entire thread, not your quilt. They have no idea what I'm charging for this quilt. I would never tell anyone else in public your personal business.
sad.png

ETA: The only place that we discussed my charge for quilts of any size was in this post and if you notice, I said you would not pay that price, would essentially get a BYC discount. The cost of all quilts was copied from my Blue Roo Creations Facebook page post about same:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ing-a-rare-speckledhen-rant/400#post_17939804

Last edited:
I think you didn't read my whole post I also ordered my sister 25 biddies because she would have not taken any money

To me, the way I took it, was in their quest to compliment your work was insulting what others pay for your work.
There is no doubt you love what you do.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom