Grrr, Wanting Something for Nothing & No Appreciation for Fine Hand Quilting....A Rare Speckledhen

Pics
In all my years of owning shops And teaching at local college in California. I never had anyone want something for nothing. Retired now and people do ask if I make for friends. I no longer have a business license, no work insurance, and animals take up a lot of time. I have been busy designing windows and lights for this farm house. Designing for Glass takes a lot more time and work than a time tested pattern. The kiln for Glass is set up and I need to make the kiln for the pottery. If I could pull myself away from the spinning and weaving as well as crochet and knitting I would have that kiln set up for the pottery. By the time I am done making this farm house into what I want it to be, I may be near the end. But I plan for it to be a work of art. Or craft. Or labor of love. And her quilt will be in it on my brass bed.
That bed is beautiful! I have one with oak leaves in the motif, but not brass. Mine is aluminum with a green patina finish. I love leaves on everything.

I have 30 blocks quilted now, had to stop and lay down because of a headache, but will be back at it soon. Maybe I can have it finished by Monday, aside from the binding. Hope I'm not being too optimistic about that. Have the husband and the chickens, too, but he tries to take care of things so I can get my quilts done and not have to run to the barn every half hour.

If there are any scrapes of this

Maybe I could use for Coffee and tea bar at the window. Maybe I could come up with something for a valance.

There won't be much left, though I got a second yard to make sure I had enough for the binding. We'll see. I also ordered it in a dusty pink color for myself and other projects. It's the Catalina series by Maywood Studio.

Also comes in gold, green, black, orange, dusty pink another pinkish-salmon-like shade and actual red. The prettiest one is the one in this quilt, though, IMO.

@ApiaryandAviary
@NanaKat
I have the entire quilt, except border, quilted. I have a question, though. I am thinking of using a hot pink thread for the border. It blends beautifully with the deep rose fabric of the border. Here is it on the front and back fabrics. The rest was in a super light neutral gray color because pink would have shouted out from the teal/turquoise fabrics and detracted from the quilt. I've done two color quilting on other quilts before and this may be a place it's called for. It would be most obvious on the backing fabric, the difference in the threads, but on the front, I think the pink would be better on this gorgeous fabric. Tell me what you think. Of course, once washed and all crinkly, you won't really notice the thread much anyway.

Last edited:
The pink on pink works beautifully. Would a beige work for the Teal & Turquoise instead of Gray?

Last edited:
The pink on pink works beautifully. Would a beige work for the Teal & Turquoise instead of Gray?

No, after consulting other quilters on color, I decided on the super light silvery gray so it would not detract from the colors on the front. Beige would have looked odd on this quilt, wherever you could notice the thread (which would have been on the backing more than the front). And it's already quilted now, no going back. I mean the ENTIRE quilt except for the border is done-I pushed through it today. It took 14 bobbins worth of thread so far, probably two more for the border.

I can have the border finished tomorrow, barring unforeseen complications. My little bantam Cochin rooster is dying so I have to go check on him and his girls a lot during the day. May have to bury him tomorrow. His main hen is 9 years old and has had issues herself. If he goes, she may go with him from sheer grief. But, I plan to get the border done tomorrow, just wanted to see if you minded the two colors in the quilting. I don't really think you'll notice the thread, which was really the point with this very busy quilt anyway. But, I think the pink is what we'll go with.

So sorry about your Cochin Bantams. I love my Geisha Girl, she is an "elderly" Calico Cochin Bantam and I love her dearly. She is one of my Broody hens. One thing for certain Feather footed no mater what size did not fair well around here bc they are slow in the grass but great broody hens.

Do what you need to do and select what you need, your the quilting expert, not me.

Just wanted to be sure you didn't have an objection. Some folks may be funny about certain things.
smile.png

Aw, I bet she's adorable. I had one other bantam Cochin, a lavender hen named Shadow. We called her the Purple Princess. My husband adored her.

Back
Top Bottom