Grrr, Wanting Something for Nothing & No Appreciation for Fine Hand Quilting....A Rare Speckledhen

I didn't really put it on my bed properly to show, but had it on my bed so I could have room to cut out and make the binding in my craft room without putting it on the floor. It will end up approximately 78 x 100, plenty of length to tuck a pillow.

No doubt, it is lovely but the width size of less than 78 inches in width is concerning since it has not been preshrunk. Cotton does shrink And you were counting on it shrinking to give the lovely pucker it needs. You wrote, the threading in the back of the quilt where you told me the pink front threads can be seen in the gray threads in the solid fabric back. You said the threads would not show among the beautiful puckering. Which I love the puckered fabric of a quilt. It would not be just for Looks, it would be to use, a beautiful useable quilt. It is beautiful. Let's see what the measurements are after shrinkage.

No doubt, it is lovely but the width size of less than 78 inches in width is concerning since it has not been preshrunk. Cotton does shrink And you were counting on it shrinking to give the lovely pucker it needs. You wrote, the threading in the back of the quilt where you told me the pink front threads can be seen in the gray threads in the solid fabric back. You said the threads would not show among the beautiful puckering. Which I love the puckered fabric of a quilt. It would not be just for Looks, it would be to use, a beautiful useable quilt. It is beautiful. Let's see what the measurements are after shrinkage.
I don't know what you mean, not understanding you. Where there is pink thread, it's pink front and back. Where there is gray thread, it's gray front and back, however, when washed and "crinkly-quilty" and the batting fluffs a bit, ALL the threads will be pushed to the background and the design they made will show up. It probably won't shrink a great deal due to the amount of quilting in it that stabilizes it, but we'll see. This quilt calls for the fabrics and the log cabin design to be the star, not the thread, and the way I did that will accomplish it. My friend Angie quilts professionally and she uses only plain muslin for her backing. I thought this light rose print would be better.

This is why I do not take non-refundable deposits on quilts, though everyone tells me that I should. I'd rather just say, if you don't like it, you don't have to buy it. I have an Etsy shop and I have BYC classifieds, as well as other avenues to sell the quilts if the customer does not want it for whatever reason. Or, I can just keep it for my own bed. So, I'll measure it after the wash, see if it loses any area and go from there.
Backing design pre-wash.

Last edited:
I think the fabric is lovely and glad you explained the thread colors a bit more. The only thing I am concerned about is when it is laundred a couple of times, what would the width be then? It does not have to be axact in measurements bc we don't know exactly what the shrinkage will be. I have learned something in this process..

Make sure we are using the same rule of thumb. I think all the different measurements for bedding should be standardized, sort of like women's clothing. Your quilt is beautiful and I love the colors. Hopefully it will not shrink too much with warm water and warm heat in dryer on cotton. Love all colors and fabrics used. Always use all cotton on Bedding and towels, is there anything besides cotton? There are a couple of things I would do differently, like Not read comments at your fb site nor this site while it is being made. I think a ball park figure of what size in measurements would be extremely helpful. Instead of stating full for son and queen for mine. Lol, learned.
Your work is beautiful. Your able to handle a sewing machine with finesse. There is a lot of hand work in there!

Last edited:
I think the fabric is lovely and glad you explained the thread colors a bit more. The only thing I am concerned about is when it is laundred a couple of times, what would the width be then? It does not have to be axact in measurements bc we don't know exactly what the shrinkage will be. I have learned something in this process..

Make sure we are using the same rule of thumb. I think all the different measurements for bedding should be standardized, sort of like women's clothing. Your quilt is beautiful and I love the colors. Hopefully it will not shrink too much with warm water and warm heat in dryer on cotton. Love all colors and fabrics used. Always use all cotton on Bedding and towels, is there anything besides cotton? There are a couple of things I would do differently, like Not read comments at your fb site nor this site while it is being made. I think a ball park figure of what size in measurements would be extremely helpful. Instead of stating full for son and queen for mine. Lol, learned.
Your work is beautiful. Your able to handle a sewing machine with finesse. There is a lot of hand work in there!

Quilt sizes will never be standardized, not when it's a handmade, custom thing. You saw my own chart I posted. You can find fifty charts and they'll say quite different things. That standard you posted is a commercial standard and more for bedspreads and tuck-in blankets, not quilts, I might add.

This chart is my guide. I have limits to what I can do on this machine since it it not a long-arm and I am not a professional at machine quilting yet, though I can put out a decent product now. I do not make king size quilts so I won't take on that job. If someone wants a king size for a queen size bed, they would be charged for a king, even if they wanted it for a queen bed because of the extra drop on the sides. This one is queen width, but would easily qualify for king in length, being 99-100. It is only 3" per side drop less than the biggest measurement on the queen size in this chart.

There are other variables, even the size of the people in the bed, though that sounds funny. A quilt with my son and his wife under it will ride up more (he's a big, big guy, 6'2", 350 lb and she's no little thing) than a quilt with my best friend under it, who is a tiny 5'2" 100 lb person and barely a lump under the covers. So a quilt for them would necessarily have to be wider than one for her and her average size husband.

Cotton fabrics today do not shrink all that much, at least the ones that are high quality, the ones I use. Some of these, I've had for awhile and were pre-washed, though I quit doing that for the most part, EXCEPT for reds. The batting is a 60/40 cotton poly blend so will have less shrinkage than a purely cotton one. But, I will measure post-wash and let you know, not a problem. I want customers to be happy with what they buy from me.

Last edited:

I hope others can copy this chart of yours so they too will know. There is more than one chart. This would have been helpful, got this yesterday. We live and learn. Thank you for your chart. You sent me connections to check out and I will do that later tonight when I have time. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom