GSE or Grapefruit Seed Extract Combats Cocci or Coccidiosis and Other Ailments

A trial was performed with grape seed extract. I found it interesting but not worth much compared to real cures . I've never seen any documented trials using grapefruit seed extract. If you can list one legitimate link from an institution such as a University Poultry Department, not some hogwash from Mother Earth News, where grapefruit seed extract was used to cure coccidiosis, I'll be happy to examine it.

Crop problems are *usually* secondary to something else and won't resolve until that "something" is found and treated, but you already know this.
big_smile.png
Hopefully your vet will have an answer and treatment plan for you! Good luck and let us know what he/she says.

-Kathy

Hi Kathy,

Are there are series of things that are primary? That I should look for? I don't know the chicken vet and she's arriving tomorrow. I have found that knowing as much as possible before she arrives is helpful.

Thank you so much,
-kara

I did extensive internet digging. I found that GSE deworms and kills parasites. That farmers have been using it for some time on goats and bunnies for cocci. That other people have used it on hens with positive results.
Since you state that GSE deworms and kills parasites in goats, and hens; what are the dosages for chickens, where to buy it and how much does it cost, is there a withdrawal period, is there a need to redose and when to redose again? If the costs are too much as compared to a 125ml bottle of safeguard liquid goat wormer (about $18 from Jefferslivestock) then GSE is not worth using to worm goats or chickens. I find it hard to believe a farmer would take a loss like that unless he was offered something in return as gratuity.
If you promote GSE, you have to provide specifics in detail besides saying GSE is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Crop problems are *usually* secondary to something else and won't resolve until that "something" is found and treated, but you already know this.
big_smile.png
Hopefully your vet will have an answer and treatment plan for you! Good luck and let us know what he/she says.

-Kathy

Hi Kathy,

Are there are series of things that are primary? That I should look for? I don't know the chicken vet and she's arriving tomorrow. I have found that knowing as much as possible before she arrives is helpful.

Thank you so much,
-kara

I guess the first thing to do is figure out if it's yeast or bacteria that's causing it and remember that something like Monistat or Nystatin will only work on the yeast if "touches" it. Also, crop yeast infections are not necessarily limited to the crop, they can also be in the mouth and esophagus, so something like fluconazole or ketoconazole might be the better choice, I think, and they would also treat the yeast if it were in other places.

I've seen diseases like blackhead cause systemic yeast infections, antibiotics can as well. I've also seen Marek's tumors, EYP, ascites and oviduct cancer obstruct the digestive tract, which results in the crop backing up, but that's probably not the case if you're seeing solid, regular poops.

This link has some interesting info:
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/answers-from-chicken-vet-on-impacted.html

-Kathy

Karabou, is there any chance those birds were passing intestinal lining? I still think "OMG Blood!" when I see it.

I hope the vet can help your silkie.

Kathy. You are amazing and kind. Thank you for sharing with me. Kara
You're welcome! While you're at the vet tomorrow, ask them to show you how to tube feed "just in case" and buy the supplies you'll need from them. I recommend a size 18 french catheter and 35ml or 60ml syringe.

-Kathy

I had that on my list. But had no idea on sizes. Thank you! i have been mixing kefir, crumble, and nutridrench and feeding with an eyedropper. What a struggle. Not sure who it was harder on. I got a lot in her two evenings ago and in the morning she had pooped nicely, was scratching around the tub and eating robustly. Vast improvement after two days of Monistat. So I stopped the Monistat. Her crop seemed okay although I thought I felt a small mat of grass. (I have been growing and feeding wheatgrass). But I wasn't sure if I was right or paranoid. Yesterday I thought we were out of the woods. Then this morn, squishy crop and vomit. Ugh. I saw a piece of grass come up. She's been inside for a week.

Put her back on Monistat this morning. Crop is back down. She's had two normal poops. She's eating on her own. Kinda. Not piggish like usual. But the gagging and head weaving continues

Back
Top Bottom