guard dog

Not really small, but my two pits are great guard dogs. They let the chickens basically climb all over them and eat out of their food bowls.

thats creates an amusing image in my mind. They are great looking dogs and its a shame they get such a bum wrap due to idiotic and irresponsible breeders.

CT

about the pits ghave u ever had a bad encounter with them on other dogs and ik u said they climb all over hem i had 3 goats that i raised and i freeranged my chicks with them and the goats were like horses to them

I would be very reluctant to bring other dogs around them. My male is very alpha and would want to establish dominance over another dog. They don't seem to have the same reaction to the chickens.

Well now you are talking livestock guarding dogs, I believe all of those are large, I wouldn't leave other breeds in the coop, though I don't think I would keep the livestock dog in the coop either, it would patrol the area, and have it's own home.

Probably cheaper to have a secure coop and run.

Last edited:
ok so near the run then and what breed i want something thats gonna kill a predator but not my chickens even kill the woodys

You'll need to do a search, livestock dogs are big and hairy, most were bred to mimic the look of sheep. You need to do some research, breeds like great Pyrenees, and Anatolian are two.

I use dogs to protect chickens and have good familiarity with the larger livestock guarding breeds. Breed with respect to chickens is not all that important as training not covered by breeding of LGD's is required by all. Dogs are expensive especially when compared to other measures used for smaller flocks. If dog(s) to be used then at first also use a fence to keep them separate from birds. As dog(s) settles in and becomes safe around chickens you can have closer interactions between species. Until then use the fence and dogs in concert to protect birds.

Once a fence is part of the equation the need for a larger dog is largerly overcome. Then shepherds with a capacity for guarding become a good option. I am starting to like a current English Shepherd as does very much like a larger LGD but has some additional capacity for other uses. Such are also very cold tolerant.

Be prepared to invest 2 years before dog gets into good form and may take more time before full potential is realized. All dogs I have worked with require at least two years to mature mentally.

Back
Top Bottom