Guess my chick! Please :)

I got 15 layers from McMurray and an extra chick. The extra chick was a cool looking Maran, but it was a rooster. I didn't really mind, I like having a few rooster, but he eventually became aggressive and he went into the stew pot.

If you have 20 hens, you can keep two roosters. As long as your dominant rooster thinks he raised this roo as his son, he will except him, since he thinks it is his own flesh and blood. One rooster can only really breed with up to 12 girls. You can keep a meat bird if it remains healthy, just make sure you don't feed it too much, so it won't grow too fast and develop leg or heart problems.

I have five roosters right now, and the lead rooster raised one as his son and the two get along pretty well.

The original chick grew into this lovely rooster. I'm still not sure on breed. Our older rooster has pulled all his tail feathers, but he has a lovely green sheen around his neck and some black on his wings. He did come from a hatchery so I'm still trying to guess his breed. Maybe a wellsummer?

The original chick grew into this lovely rooster. I'm still not sure on breed. Our older rooster has pulled all his tail feathers, but he has a lovely green sheen around his neck and some black on his wings. He did come from a hatchery so I'm still trying to guess his breed. Maybe a wellsummer?

I'm not the best at breeds yet, but i'd say
Production Red, we have the same from a hatchery.

Last edited:
All the chickens have food names, we have 19 of them. That particular rooster got his name because he was an 'extra' sent along with an order. 'Extra Chicken' became 'extra crispy'.

quote name="AmberKnits" url="/t/995198/guess-my-chick-please#post_16011964"]All the chickens have food names, we have 19 of them. That particular rooster got his name because he was an 'extra' sent along with an order. 'Extra Chicken' became 'extra crispy'.[/quote]

Hahaa. That's cute!

Back
Top Bottom