Guess the mystery rooster breed....

TXChookstead

Songster
Sep 16, 2021
East Texas
IMG_20220306_174945__02.jpg

This fellow was dropped over our former neighbors' fence in a cat carrier at about 5 months old, and we took him in. After some digging, I thought he had to be an Australorp, and found 3 Australorp pullets to keep him company. He definitely has the blue/green/purple sheen.

Fast forward a few months, and we started hatching their chicks...which obviously have some sort of mixture. Some have rose combs, one has flecks of red on the back and muted white lacing on the breast, some have a single, outermost white flight feather, one has a yellowish tint to her legs almost like a Jersey Giant.... Of course he may not be the only mix, but all the girls have white toenails and the requisite pink/gray feet + coloration, and were actually sold to me as Australorps.

His comb is interesting, and his toenails are black, not light colored (bottoms of feet are pink/gray). He is also more slender in build than most photos I have seen of Australorp roosters. Oh, and he was pretty laid back until he had hens to protect. He's very good to them but pretty mean to anyone else. If he's a mix, does anyone have any guesses?

Last edited:
View attachment 3070985
This fellow was dropped over our former neighbors' fence in a cat carrier at about 5 months old, and we took him in. After some digging, I thought he had to be an Australorp, and found 3 Australorp pullets to keep him company. He definitely has the blue/green/purple sheen.

Fast forward a few months, and we started hatching their chicks...which obviously have some sort of mixture. Some have rose combs, one has flecks of red on the back and muted white lacing on the breast, some have a single, outermost white flight feather, one has a yellowish tint to her legs almost like a Jersey Giant.... Of course he may not be the only mix, but all the girls have white toenails and the requisite pink/gray feet + coloration, and were actually sold to me as Australorps.

His comb is interesting, and his toenails are black, not light colored (bottoms of feet are pink/gray). He is also more slender in build than most photos I have seen of Australorp roosters. Oh, and he was pretty laid back until he had hens to protect. He's very good to them but pretty mean to anyone else. If he's a mix, does anyone have any guesses?
Pretty sexy for a chicken! He's struttin' his stuff like Travolta!

Update: Pico's daughter's have begun to lay, and guess what? Some eggs are brown, some blue, and some olive. I think he must be a sassy-looking Easter Egger. No muffs, just some kind of a blue egg gene.

Thankfully the friends who got chicks are delighted at the variety. We are too, honestly.
IMG_20220621_130225__01.jpg

So far we (personally) have only olive and brown. I'd love to see blue, though. I think one more has yet to start laying. We'll see!

Back
Top Bottom