Guesses on Silkie Gender and a random bantam breed

Mylied

Crowing
9 Years
Mar 12, 2012
Middle Georgia
My silkies are about 4 months old. I'm thinking this one is a rooster. I think the silkie behind the one in question is a hen, but I couldn't get a good picture.

I also got a handful of random chicks when I picked up a piglet. One is a really sweet and handsome bantam rooster. Any clue what he might be? He's fast, so it's hard to take pics of him.

Your rooster is probably an Old English Game bantam mix. Silkies are notoriously difficult to sex, but I'm leaning towards the bird in the first photo being a cockerel.

Wow, those are pretty birds. The old english game bantams. I might need some more of those in the future. It was fun getting a mix of chickens. I ended up with some turkens and some black mixes of something or other, then this really awesome little guy.

Maybe a stupid question, but will he be able to breed with full sized hens? He refuses to stay contained and I don't mind him running around.

Maybe a stupid question, but will he be able to breed with full sized hens? He refuses to stay contained and I don't mind him running around.
Well, he will certainly try.
wink.png

How effective he is will depend on the hen, if she takes him seriously, and, well, his anatomical coordination. He is smaller, which can cause a certain, deficiency, but many bantam boys and game boys still get the job done with the big girls....depending upon the girl and amount of bum fluff.

Let him run and find out how well he does...that is if you are interested in his mating and producing genes...being aware to contain him as games do like to fly and wander.
Lady of McCamley

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom