Guinea chicks HELP can hear parents and vice versa not thriving

shieldak

Hatching
Jun 1, 2020
Caught my free ranging guineas’ keets to raise so they don’t die. Keets are in brooder with heat in the barn crying and parents outside screaming. Tried chasing parents away ect. Chicks are not eating or drinking just frantically chirping 24/7. they’re like a day or two old. gave electrolytes. can’t constantly eye dropper them have to go to work. i know the parents will eventually stop but how do i keep the chicks alive till then???

Have to ask, what made you think that they'd die if you didn't take them from their parents? I'd either give the chicks back or catch the parents and put them in with the chicks.. I can't understand the need for using a eye dropper either.

Have to ask, what made you think that they'd die if you didn't take them from their parents? I'd either give the chicks back or catch the parents and put them in with the chicks.. I can't understand the need for using a eye dropper either.
Have had you guineas before? They’re terrible parents. I’ve gotten all mine from online hatcheries or farms where theyve been incubated. You don’t catch them and coop them either. they’re wild, they’d all trample the chicks The eye dropper was to give them save a chick electrolytes and probiotics. I raised the parents from chicks and whenever they’re had babies in the past 2yrs they’ve never made it. This is the first time i was able to catch them.
Give them back to the parents. You took them so they don't die but appears they may because of your actions.
Have you had guineas before? they are notoriously terrible parents. all the other chicks they’re been left to raise haven’t made it. We don’t have a ton of predators either. They’ve led them through the creek, and they’ve straight up forgotten about them amount other things. Its worse finding dead neglected chicks or having 10 just disappear. I work in animal rescue. Please look up Guineas and their care if you don’t have anything helpful to say.
Give them back to the parents. You took them so they don't die but appears they may because of your actions.

Caught my free ranging guineas’ keets to raise so they don’t die. Keets are in brooder with heat in the barn crying and parents outside screaming. Tried chasing parents away ect. Chicks are not eating or drinking just frantically chirping 24/7. they’re like a day or two old. gave electrolytes. can’t constantly eye dropper them have to go to work. i know the parents will eventually stop but how do i keep the chicks alive till then???
Sounds like a rough choice. If they are in the barn, maybe you could lure 1-2 parents into the barn and lock them in with the keets? If you aren’t able to do that, and it’s not safe for keets to be raised by the parents in your area, maybe you could bring the keets’ brooder inside or some other area where they can’t hear each other? If the keets are constantly hearing their parents calling for them, they will be frantic to get to them...

Have had you guineas before? They’re terrible parents. I’ve gotten all mine from online hatcheries or farms where theyve been incubated. You don’t catch them and coop them either. they’re wild, they’d all trample the chicks The eye dropper was to give them save a chick electrolytes and probiotics. I raised the parents from chicks and whenever they’re had babies in the past 2yrs they’ve never made it. This is the first time i was able to catch them.

Have you had guineas before? they are notoriously terrible parents. all the other chicks they’re been left to raise haven’t made it. We don’t have a ton of predators either. They’ve led them through the creek, and they’ve straight up forgotten about them amount other things. Its worse finding dead neglected chicks or having 10 just disappear. I work in animal rescue. Please look up Guineas and their care if you don’t have anything helpful to say.

Yes. I have had guineas for many years. Also incubated and brooded them myself. I have not had the problems you have described. Mine have disappeared mostly from predators - foxes, coyotes, hawks, owls etc. I also have been in animal rescue which is beside the point.

Yes. I have had guineas for many years. Also incubated and brooded them myself. I have not had the problems you have described. Mine have disappeared mostly from predators - foxes, coyotes, hawks, owls etc. I also have been in animal rescue which is beside the point.
Ok so you’ve just gotten the eggs first and hatched them? I wish but we can never find their nests. We are very lucky that our predator load is super low- or else i wouldn’t have found the guineas shrieking around dead babies that have gotten wet and died or gotten stuck in the tall grass and not found till it was too late. the ones the predators get you don’t ever see again. The reason i mention rescue is because i don’t make it a point of separating babies (like the people who kitten nap, take baby bunnies or panic about “abandoned” fawns ) unless it’s life threatening. Have you ever had newborn keets that won’t eat or drink? What have you done if not manually feed mash?

Ok so you’ve just gotten the eggs first and hatched them? I wish but we can never find their nests. We are very lucky that our predator load is super low- or else i wouldn’t have found the guineas shrieking around dead babies that have gotten wet and died or gotten stuck in the tall grass and not found till it was too late. the ones the predators get you don’t ever see again. The reason i mention rescue is because i don’t make it a point of separating babies (like the people who kitten nap, take baby bunnies or panic about “abandoned” fawns ) unless it’s life threatening. Have you ever had newborn keets that won’t eat or drink? What have you done if not manually feed mash?
I have not had healthy keets refuse feed and water. Even the keet that was frantic after being abandoned by its parents was willing to eat and drink, as long as it couldn’t see me. Are there droppings or other evidence that your keets are eating and drinking when you are not around?

I have not had healthy keets refuse feed and water. Even the keet that was frantic after being abandoned by its parents was willing to eat and drink, as long as it couldn’t see me. Are there droppings or other evidence that your keets are eating and drinking when you are not around?
We found them late afternoon sunday. So hasn’t been too long but didn’t want to wait. I have not seen droppings or soiled litter in the brooder yet. Wanted to at least get electrolytes into them and then just leave them be and lessen the trauma. They’re lethargic and that’s probably the only reason we were able to get them out n the first place. I’m at work so i’m hoping the peace and quiet will help. With any newborn chicks of any kind i’ve always dipped their beaks to show them the water initially and used my finger to “peck” where the crumbles are. There’s no interest on their part. Hoping things will turn and i will still have babies when i get home today.

We found them late afternoon sunday. So hasn’t been too long but didn’t want to wait. I have not seen droppings or soiled litter in the brooder yet. Wanted to at least get electrolytes into them and then just leave them be and lessen the trauma. They’re lethargic and that’s probably the only reason we were able to get them out n the first place. I’m at work so i’m hoping the peace and quiet will help. With any newborn chicks of any kind i’ve always dipped their beaks to show them the water initially and used my finger to “peck” where the crumbles are. There’s no interest on their part. Hoping things will turn and i will still have babies when i get home today.
How is it going with your keets?

Back
Top Bottom