Guinea Housing/Coop Gallery

This is the coop area before I put the door and chicken wire up. Also, I'll try to get pics of my brooder and teenager box tonight! :)

guinea 3.jpg

Thanks, it is. My run originally was just that 10x10 area ... I would love to cover it in brush and make it more natural looking and I think they would like that too.

Thanks for that detail! :goodpost:We have a lot of predators as well and may end up having to take all those extra precautions. Just today, we were on our way home and there was a huge vulture on the road in front of our property eating a squirrel. I think the brush would definitely camouflage the run.

I built my guinea's coop inside an old corn crib. Its about 6x5' and maybe 10' tall. I used chicken wire and tin to predator proof the entire thing (it wasnt quite finished in the pic). I put several roosts at varying heights and a shelf for them to hang out on. The shelf is above the feeder and also blocks their poo from landing in feed trough. They have a door that leads to a small outdoor run, which we only used while "training" them. They are now free range all day and I lock them into coop at night.

For my keets (which I hope start hatching on Monday), i have a crate box that I turned into a brooder and then have a "teenager" box for once they are 2 weeks old that offers more space and I can attach a little outside run for them to check out the yard .View attachment 1036507
View attachment 1036508

Having a corn crib sure makes it easier to build a nice coop. We are starting from scratch. The cardboard box in the RV is not ideal by any means, but it's all we have for now. My keets were hatched 5/29 so they will be two weeks tomorrow and they really need their transitional quarters. I spoke to a neighbor today and he's lending me his chicken tractor until we get done building our hoop coop tractor. My garden is also enclosed in chicken wire and hardware cloth to keep the wildlife out. I may let the keets loose in there during the day but I'm afraid they'll get really spoiled and I won't be able to round them back up to put in the coop!! LOL!! On the other hand, it would be good practice to get them into a routine.

Thanks for these images! They are great! Very nice coop!! Eager to see the brooder and "teenage" box as well. If all goes well with my four keets, we may expand which means the next round of keets will NOT be housed in the RV!! LOL!!

Here is my brooder. I made it from a shipping crate box I got out of the trash pile at work. I used thin wood strips and chicken wire to make the lid and have tie wire with snaps to put over the lid to ensure any predators can't get it open.

I plan to hang my heat lamp from ceiling so I can adjust it easily, but for now, its attached to the saw horse and I just add blocks of wood under saw horse to make it taller and raise the lamp. Total cost $0.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 61
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 59
This is my "teenager box." I bought it off any older gentleman at a buy sell trade for $15. I scrubbed it and painted it. it has a good amount of space, I keep food and water on one side and leave the other side open for exercise. I also have a small run I can attach to it so that they can get outside a some.
The one side is solid wood, and the other is tiny chicken wire covered with hard plastic, the hard plastic is removable so that you can give them additional air flow once they get a little bigger.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 59
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
This is my "teenager box." I bought it off any older gentleman at a buy sell trade for $15. I scrubbed it and painted it. it has a good amount of space, I keep food and water on one side and leave the other side open for exercise. I also have a small run I can attach to it so that they can get outside a some.
The one side is solid wood, and the other is tiny chicken wire covered with hard plastic, the hard plastic is removable so that you can give them additional air flow once they get a little bigger.
These are both GREAT!!! I love the fact that you repurposed a shipping crate and the box above for both! That is right up my alley!!

We are borrowing a chicken coop from our neighbors as a "teenager" space (not sure if 2 weeks qualifies as a teen, but they clearly needed a bigger box!). So far, so good. It helps that here in GA the night time temps have been in the upper 60's and low-to-mid 70's.
GuineaTractor-1.jpg GuineaTractor-3.jpg

Thank you SO MUCH for sharing. These give me ideas of what to keep an eye out for. I have a friend who hauls junk, so when he finds stuff that he thinks I can repurpose, he calls me. And some of the so called "junk" that he picks up is practically brand new!!! Some people would rather throw out perfectly good stuff than try to sell it, I suppose.

Thanks, it is. My run originally was just that 10x10 area but has grown to about 30x30 since then. It is all chain link with chicken wire running up the sides and 2-3' out in a skirt, staked down and then all the grass has grown up through it. Over the chain link and chicken wire it is covered in wood lattice to make it look nicer from the street, make the birds less obvious to predators in the distance, and add an extra layer to the fencing. Over the top I have extra heavy duty knotted netting.

The roosts were originally for my turkeys and the guineas slept in that green coop but I had to get rid of the turkeys because of my husband and I needed the extra coop space. The guineas wanted to sleep in the trees but they can't go a week without being maimed by a fox or owl and I think they are happy with the compromise. I would love to cover it in brush and make it more natural looking and I think they would like that too.
I think I may have bought some Seabright chicks from you last year, I recognize your coop!

Aren't they amazing that they fly so quickly? We brooded them for about 3-4 weeks in a large wire dog kennel that is 48" long, 30" or so wide, covered with 1/2" hardware cloth, on our porch. Keets are so tiny that they can escape 1" openings easily. We used the Mama-Heating-Pad method. Then we built them a hoop-coop out of cattle panels, also covered in hardware cloth, with a tarp on top, under trees with a little sunny area. While they were growing in that, we built their permanent coop, which is a modified hoop coop that I designed in answer to many of the concerns about guineas, which is that they prefer to roost high in trees, hard to coop, etc. It is important to take seriously that predators will kill them all if they are not protected. Here is the thread I started in order to discuss the design with a design engineer who is a member here on BWC. I have never had time to write it up properly with plans:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/modified-hoop-coop-design-development.1120946/page-4
That link goes to page 4, where photos begin.

Hey there. I'm looking at getting guineas, but so far I only have a 4' tall (4'x8') coop (formerly for quail), and a chicken coop (I've heard they are mean to chickens so I don't want them in there). This is all by a 15'x30' horse shelter (three sided 'run in' shed). If I were to put a few 2x4s up, could they roost here at night? Would they be alright? I want them safe, but can't really build a coop right now. I will be getting adults, starting with a pair- do I keep them in the former quail coop until they know that's home or free range them from day one? (Chickens are penned now. They would be free to fly around and free range.) How do I get them back at night and keep them from 'running away'?

Hey there. I'm looking at getting guineas, but so far I only have a 4' tall (4'x8') coop (formerly for quail), and a chicken coop (I've heard they are mean to chickens so I don't want them in there). This is all by a 15'x30' horse shelter (three sided 'run in' shed). If I were to put a few 2x4s up, could they roost here at night? Would they be alright? I want them safe, but can't really build a coop right now. I will be getting adults, starting with a pair- do I keep them in the former quail coop until they know that's home or free range them from day one? (Chickens are penned now. They would be free to fly around and free range.) How do I get them back at night and keep them from 'running away'?

If you just let brand new guineas roam free from day one, chances are by day three you'll never see them again. You need to "train" them. I put mine in their coop for around a month, then for a week I open their coop door and let them into a temporary run during the day and then feed them and lock them in coop at night. Now they are free range, but I still lock them in the coop each night. They are "trained" to go in their for dinner.

They like to roam far, but if they learn where their dinner is served you have a better chance of keeping them safe!

Back
Top Bottom