Guinea pig's infected foot

ilikepigeons

Songster
Nov 11, 2021
New Zealand
We have a 6 year old guinea pig sow, she's got what I assume is an infected foot. She's had it for a little over 6 months, switching between hardly noticeable to very bad. She appears to get over it and then get re infected. It's a bit swollen, one front foot that is the infected one. It had burst puss once. Not looking to bother her too much at the moment but it's still a little infected and swollen. There's no open wound.
I don't think that it's a genetically strong animal, it's already had multiple anti biotic treatments for URIs from the vet and thousands on removing ovarian cysts.
I told my family member that is usually in charge of the animals with me that it might be a good idea to just take it to the vet and load it up with antibiotic but she disagrees. Her current 'treatment' is smearing betadine on the foot and drying it on, not too sure how well this is working as I personally haven't noticed a difference.
Asking if there are any decent home treatments y'all know , or if I'm not the only one who thinks antibiotics from the vet would work.

It’s best to have guinea pigs on soft fleece liners.
What do you feed her?
How much space does she have?
3086EFF3-C647-4387-8B53-B3508E1DA95E.jpeg

I own two female guinea pigs, each about 2 years old. They have a large wooden home, everything lined with fuzzy fleece-like material (removable pads) and it gets cleaned regularly.
55FD17CD-F6A6-4547-8E25-665A07D889AD.jpeg

We’ve never had foot issues. Or any other issues, for that matter.
They are fed fresh veggies 1-2 times a day and have access to hay and pellets all the time.

It’s best to have guinea pigs on soft fleece liners.
What do you feed her?
How much space does she have?
View attachment 2947075
I’ll have to try the fleece liners.
She has 1 sq meter ish at night and then 16 sq meters of grass run for the day. The problem did develop when she was on only in the small cage for a while because there was a problem with the run.
She’s fed grass and garden weeds (dandelion, plantain ect), hay and does have access to pellets although she doesn’t eat them often. Veggies, fruit and sweet chestnuts as treats.

I’ll have to try the fleece liners.
She has 1 sq meter ish at night and then 16 sq meters of grass run for the day. The problem did develop when she was on only in the small cage for a while because there was a problem with the run.
She’s fed grass and garden weeds (dandelion, plantain ect), hay and does have access to pellets although she doesn’t eat them often. Veggies, fruit and sweet chestnuts as treats.
👍

Back
Top Bottom