Guinea questions

This is normal. When the first breeding season starts is when your guineas will become terrorists to your chickens. Because they were raised with chickens they will treat the chickens the same as they treat each other. The chickens will not understand the racing and chasing along with the attacks from behind that include feather pulling and breaking. The chickens do not know how to show submission like the guineas do.
That's good to know! We already were talking about separating them out, but since everyone will be ranged in the day I think just giving them a separate sleeping space is all we can do. We have 8.5 acres so hopefully it's enough room that the chickens aren't terrorized.

I have two sets if guineas. The first set is older and was about a week old when I got them. They live with the chickens but definitely pick on the younger chicken. My second set of guineas was a few days old and raised from the get go with another batch of chickens and they're perfect little "chickens" or at least they think they're chickens, lol. None if mine are full grown yet so I'm just watching to see if we need to separate. The older group is about to go out into the pasture if they continue to pick.
My guineas and young chickens were all hatched on the same day, July 20th. Who knows why, but I suspect some of the other chickens are also in on the feather pulling.

Back
Top Bottom