Guinea talk.

well, excuse me, since on my computer, I had no indication of what forum it was. and this being the same question asked hundreds of times. I assumed it was a chicken.
your explanation did not tell how to break the broodiness. all she will do is go hide another nest.
and if it is a guinea, then by all means, do not let her try to raise the keets.
most of the time none of them will survive.

CBB6438A-39D0-4D33-985B-CADA63911720.jpeg
A bit off topic from breaking a broody guinea hen, but have to politely disagree about not letting a guinea hen hatch and raise keets. I found my guineas to be very good parents. Many times my hens would go broody together and co-parent the keets and at least one male would participate in the parenting as well. The only thing I had to watch out for was rain. I would make sure not to let the hens and keets out for the day if rain was forecasted, as the hens would take the little ones out in the wet grass and they’d get wet and chilled (this fact alone may make some claim that this makes them bad parents, but they are fiercely protective and otherwise attentive).

where did I say they were bad parents ?
In Florida you might get lucky and have them successfully raise the young.
but in the north, we don't have the arid conditions like you have in Fla.

I have been waiting for your post
Of course, there is always contradictions to the norm, but I have been at this bird game for well over 50 years, and I have never had a guinea successfully raise a brood. the closest was about 2 or 3 out of a hatch.
Information like yours could be very disappointing to someone who might try it.
It doesn't take rain to chill the keets. just taking them through dew dampened grass will do it.
people will tell you that you cannot raise baby chicks outside when it is minus 20F.
I raised 80 of them in such a way, and not a single one died. but I don't recommend anybody to try it.

well, excuse me, since on my computer, I had no indication of what forum it was. and this being the same question asked hundreds of times. I assumed it was a chicken.
your explanation did not tell how to break the broodiness. all she will do is go hide another nest.
and if it is a guinea, then by all means, do not let her try to raise the keets.
most of the time none of them will survive.
If you got the notification through the alert system, it showed that the thread was Guinea Talk. If you scrolled up to the top of the page you could have seen that it is the Guinea Fowl forum.

You must not have bothered to completely read my post because you are basically repeating what I posted when saying she will just go broody again.

I posted - "Of course she will quickly go broody again once she has her new nest filled with eggs."

Breaking any dedicated broody whether it be a chicken or a guinea or a turkey is just a temporary solution.

Just because you cannot get your guinea hens to successfully raise their own keets does not mean that other people have not been successful at it.

where did I say they were bad parents ?
In Florida you might get lucky and have them successfully raise the young.
but in the north, we don't have the arid conditions like you have in Fla.

I have been waiting for your post
Of course, there is always contradictions to the norm, but I have been at this bird game for well over 50 years, and I have never had a guinea successfully raise a brood. the closest was about 2 or 3 out of a hatch.
Information like yours could be very disappointing to someone who might try it.
It doesn't take rain to chill the keets. just taking them through dew dampened grass will do it.
people will tell you that you cannot raise baby chicks outside when it is minus 20F.
I raised 80 of them in such a way, and not a single one died. but I don't recommend anybody to try it.

I actually raised guineas when I lived up north in SE Iowa, not Florida. I recently had to move to Florida and sadly had to re-home my guineas.
I’m sorry that you were not able to get your guineas to raise their own keets, but I found my guineas to be quite successful at this. I was very watchful on the weather, did not let them out unless conditions were right and never let them lay on nests outside of the coop. I know other people who have done the same. In My opinion, it can be done successfully with much vigilance; however, that is just my opinion and I am not trying to convince anyone to do the same....just sharing information.

Last edited:
I read your post all the way. I saw that you said the guinea will go broody again. I just pointed out that you did not have a solution to break her from being broody.
Just because you lucked out and had a guinea or two raise their young, doesn't mean that people up here in Mi and wisc can do it.
To tell them that it can be done is a great disservice.
I know of many guinea owners up here who do not let the hens try to raise their young.

I read your post all the way. I saw that you said the guinea will go broody again. I just pointed out that you did not have a solution to break her from being broody.
Just because you lucked out and had a guinea or two raise their young, doesn't mean that people up here in Mi and wisc can do it.
To tell them that it can be done is a great disservice.
I know of many guinea owners up here who do not let the hens try to raise their young.

I don't let my guineas hatch their own eggs or raise their own keets. It has nothing to do with whether or not guineas can successfully hatch and raise their own keets.

There have been many people over the years who have posted on BYC about their guineas successfully raising their own keets and the conditions that are required for them to be successful.

There has been one real guinea expert on BYC and it isn't you and it isn't me.

I don't let my guineas hatch their own eggs or raise their own keets. It has nothing to do with whether or not guineas can successfully hatch and raise their own keets.

There have been many people over the years who have posted on BYC about their guineas successfully raising their own keets and the conditions that are required for them to be successful.

There has been one real guinea expert on BYC and it isn't you and it isn't me.
Ok, I’ve just got to know for future use....who is/was the real guinea expert on here? Is it @PeepsCA?

Back
Top Bottom