Guinea talk.

guineas are more of an insect eater.
although they do eat grain.
I like them in my garden, they do no damage and do eat lots of insects.
they do not prefer potato bugs, though.

Hi peeps, does anyone have pics of cross breeds of guineas and chicken? I bought some keets the other day and I think I got something different. It was from someone I didn’t know. Someone , supposedly, new to incubating and brooding. All birds freeranged. Chicken, duck, geese, turkey and guinea. Conditions were very concerning. But that’s just me I guess. Eggs are layed wherever the birds decide. Any help on this would be appreciated.

Hi peeps, does anyone have pics of cross breeds of guineas and chicken? I bought some keets the other day and I think I got something different. It was from someone I didn’t know. Someone , supposedly, new to incubating and brooding. All birds freeranged. Chicken, duck, geese, turkey and guinea. Conditions were very concerning. But that’s just me I guess. Eggs are layed wherever the birds decide. Any help on this would be appreciated.
There are several discussions here on BYC about it, so you might try searching on here. Here is one of the more extensive discussions with some pictures that you might want to check out:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/very-unusual-chick-guinea-chicken-hybrid.834929/

There are several discussions here on BYC about it, so you might try searching on here. Here is one of the more extensive discussions with some pictures that you might want to check out:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/very-unusual-chick-guinea-chicken-hybrid.834929/
Thank you....that was very informative. I don’t know how to post pics. Maybe when I get a kid to come around and show me I will. These were supposed to be royal purple keets. I have French pearl keets that are 5 days older than the batch (11) that I got from this person. 4 are definitely royal purple. As for the rest....I have no idea. Some are yellow in color with very round bodies. Some even have webbing in the feet. It’s such a mixed bag of coloring on most of them. But by going thru the thread you suggested I have summarized that at least 4 are not all guinea. Lol in fact one pic on that site was identical to a couple of mine.

How do you break a brooder?

my wife's grandma dunked them in a bucket of cold water.
I never bothered with them .
give them a few eggs and wait 3 weeks.
then take the chicks away or you will go for at least another month without eggs while she raises them..

my wife's grandma dunked them in a bucket of cold water.
I never bothered with them .
give them a few eggs and wait 3 weeks.
then take the chicks away or you will go for at least another month without eggs while she raises them..
Since this is a guinea forum, I assume that we are talking about guineas. Guineas take approximately 4 weeks to hatch not 3.

I have found that it is really easy to break a guinea hen from being broody. Take the eggs away while she is watching and she will abandon the nest. Of course she will quickly go broody again once she has her new nest filled with eggs.

Back
Top Bottom