Guinea talk.

Hi,
My nine guineas are growing their helmets!
I don't know, should I call them guineas or keets?:confused:
I guess I should say guineas cause they've got their spotted feathers. But they are still
kind of small.:)
Most people on this thread think of their guineas as part of the family and would probably refer to them as teenagers.

Hello! Welcome to the forum. I recently joined myself. Hm, I would probably call them Guinea's... I guess it all depends what they have developed!

How many do you have? :D

I was just looking through my files and found this photo of my late Guinea, Stretch. I think he was a brown Guinea. Boy he was a fighter, he was my favorite. :)

View attachment 1137539

Him acting all big and fierce guarding the barn! :lol:

-Kaitlyn
I have 9. did I spell nine wrong?

Gosh, I didn't realize how long it had been since I last posted here. So much news to catch up on...

Welcome to the newbies - The Angry Hen (K) and Jeffrey H
:welcome We're always glad to have new people join the thread. We sure do love our guineas here :loveand learn a lot by sharing and supporting one another.

@guinealeghorn - I was so sad to hear about the fire and the loss of your keets. It leaves a pit in my stomach. I do hope your adults recovered from the smoke. It was such an unfortunate loss and we all know how much care you take with your birds, so it's especially hard to deal with the loss. I hope the Brinsea works out better for you. I even worry with the "safe" heaters, especially when the outside temperature is warm as well. It doesn't take long for them to overheat. Hoping you'll try again and wishing you better times with the process in the future. :hugs

@The Angry Hen - thanks for posting the photos. I just go crazy over photos and that Henny is such a handsome dude & Tink is just a fluff ball. The photo of your Stretch was special as well - he had beautiful markings and coloring. I just recently added chickens to our flock. I have 5 Rhode Island Reds and 3 English Orpingtons and will soon be adding 3 bantams. They have very different personalities than the guineas - I currently have a flock of 27. Yes, they are like potato chips (or popcorn) :pop, once you start, you can't stop!

@guineapeeps - I never heard that story (or at least I don't remember it) about the coyote taking out half of your keets. How horrible! :hitWe do try to keep them so safe and then they can be taken out by predators very quickly. That's the downside of free ranging. I'll be waiting for that post of yours when you let us know you have a flock again. Hope all is well.

@JeffreyH - you mentioned you have 9 "teens" and 4 are lavs. I may have missed it, but did you mention the other colors you have? It's amazing the varieties of colors that are available. I started out with a flock of pearl French Jumbos, but have since added some regular domestics in royal, white, pied and some Jumbo lavenders. With such a large flock, it makes it easier to count them and keep track of who's who. :sick

So, I'm down in North Carolina babysitting my grandson and my husband is in charge of the birds. His choice.... I offered to have someone else do it, but told him he would have to forfeit the eggs to whoever did the work. He decided to work for eggs! :lau And yes, they are just like family - kids at this point! While mom is away, they are taking advantage of dad. Trying to sleep outside on top of the run. It's been rather balmy and they haven't wanted to go in their barn. Fingers crossed that there aren't any owls around. At least they are inside an electric fence. Sometimes they drive us crazy! :he

Here's to safe and predator free days ahead...

thanks for posting the photos. I just go crazy over photos and that Henny is such a handsome dude & Tink is just a fluff ball. The photo of your Stretch was special as well - he had beautiful markings and coloring. I just recently added chickens to our flock. I have 5 Rhode Island Reds and 3 English Orpingtons and will soon be adding 3 bantams. They have very different personalities than the guineas - I currently have a flock of 27. Yes, they are like potato chips (or popcorn) :pop, once you start, you can't stop!

Hello! Nice to meet you!

Thank you very much, that is all very nice of you! :)
I am glad you liked the photos.
That is really nice, great breed choices!
Yes... They sure are irresistible!! Exactly. :D

-Kaitlyn

Back
Top Bottom