Guinea talk.

Question for ya... What do I do with the eggs "mama" kicks out of the nest?
You can float test them. If they sink they are fresh and if they float they should be disposed. When disposing of eggs I dig a hole, toss in the eggs, break them up with the shovel and then fill in the hole. I used to just toss the eggs out into the field but it attracts too many predators.

Some people cook the eggs and feed them back to their poultry.

You can float test them. If they sink they are fresh and if they float they should be disposed. When disposing of eggs I dig a hole, toss in the eggs, break them up with the shovel and then fill in the hole. I used to just toss the eggs out into the field but it attracts too many predators.

Some people cook the eggs and feed them back to their poultry.
Thank you. Just got two more that she pushed away from the nest. I think she might be downsizing!! She was sitting on well over 30 eggs!!!

Hey guys and gals I need help. My Guinea Lee ripped his toe nail out last early week on Sunday evening, and it is really swollen, I have been soaking him in epsom salt and cleaning. He cannot walk on it at all and I know it is painful.

We just got this for Lee. How much do I give him?
Duripen Penicilin g benzathine and Penicilin g procaine 15000 units of both in the vile.

BIRTH ANNOUNCEMENT

Mr. and Mrs. Gary (Gertrude) Guinea announce the birth of their nine new keets hatched on 5/29/2018.

0E71E0B2-CEF0-48C4-812D-612DA4481231.jpeg

91D90870-C950-4285-87AD-32B410410B0A.jpeg

3B2794E8-F1D3-4A37-A0EF-A05A1842ACE4.jpeg

50B79279-9F5B-4A97-9227-442130715956.jpeg

686AFA27-983B-404A-AFEF-1DCE3C8DE676.jpeg

Babies will be named Gabe, Gwen, Gus, Gracie, Gordon, Ginny II, Gil, Gabby, and Gladys.

After 2 years of trying and over 100 eggs layed, Gertrude was finally able to hatch out some keets! She started setting on 5/1 with a clutch of 26. 10 hatched yesterday and 9 have survived. She was in a nest elevated about 8” off the ground. He babies kept falling/jumping out so she finally got down this afternoon. We took the remaining eggs and placed them under several broody chickens in the coop. We’ll see what happens, but if only these 9 live, we will be extremely happy.
I placed some 8’ long 1x8 boards around them to confine them a little. I’ll replace them with wider boards tomorrow until I can build a 3’ tall pen in the coop later this week. In the event she wanders off and leaves them behind, my brooder is ready to go at a few minutes notice.
I went to town today to pick up gamebird starter/grower but got sidetracked with my granddaughter. I’ll go back tomorrow for feed and electrolyte mix.
Anything else I need to know to raise our first keets?

Since yesterday afternoon, another 5 guinea eggs have hatched. Two of the broody hens we used have only been sitting a couple weeks so they didn’t mind that we took 3 of the keets and placed them with Gertrude. She now has a full dozen babies to care for. We left 2 keets with a hen to try to raise as her own. There are still several guinea eggs under hens waiting for results.
I made it back to TSC this morning and found some 24% protein starter. It wasn’t labeled “game bird starter”, but I think it’s close enough. At least I hope so.

A little while ago I witnessed something incredible, at least to me. The 2 keets we had left with the hen to raise, walked out from under her and walked across the coop to the enclosure where their real mother and siblings are located. The boards are high enough that they could not see Gertrude, but they could hear her calling to the other keets. The little keets were hopping up as high as possible trying to get in to the enclosure. Gertrude walked up to the boards and looked over at them as if to say, “how did you get out?”.
The hen that originally hatched them didn’t even seem to notice they were gone. I guess she figures she still has other eggs to hatch out so no big deal. Anyway, we put the 2 keets in with Gertrude so now she has 14.
It looks like at least one more egg under a hen is pipping!
AE9DA474-4CEE-4679-8D1C-778BAEBCC6DE.jpeg

A little while ago I witnessed something incredible, at least to me. The 2 keets we had left with the hen to raise, walked out from under her and walked across the coop to the enclosure where their real mother and siblings are located. The boards are high enough that they could not see Gertrude, but they could hear her calling to the other keets. The little keets were hopping up as high as possible trying to get in to the enclosure. Gertrude walked up to the boards and looked over at them as if to say, “how did you get out?”.
The hen that originally hatched them didn’t even seem to notice they were gone. I guess she figures she still has other eggs to hatch out so no big deal. Anyway, we put the 2 keets in with Gertrude so now she has 14.
It looks like at least one more egg under a hen is pipping!
View attachment 1411919

Congrats on your hatch! They are so adorable at that age! It looks like you’ve got quite a few pieds out to the hatch so far. At every one of my hatches I was always amazed with how nature works and how good of parents my guineas were. It’s a beautiful thing!

We finally produced our own blues! we had 2 hatch within 12 hours of each other. I am keeping all Blues we produce as hold backs for extra laying hens to pair with our Lavender boy.

James and I also were bought out of keeters for the summer and possibly part of next year. A lady we see regularly at an auction near us preordered 100 guinea fowl keeters from us, and she understands I am doing hold backs for blues right now and is A-Okay with that.

Back
Top Bottom