Gurgle breathing won’t go away please help

Beloved Turkey

Chirping
Apr 3, 2023
Hi I have a Plymouth Rock chicken with gurgling breathing, all the research I’ve done tells me she has a respiratory infection. I’ve been treating her with vetRX for two weeks and keeping her in my room but she still gurgles when she breathes sometimes. Does anyone have any at home treatments I can do?

How does her crop feel—empty and flat, full, puffy or hard? Is her breath sour or bad smelling? Can you check it again first thing in the morning before she eats or drinks? Does she lay eggs? Do you hear sneezing, or see any bubbles in an eye, or does she have any swelling on her face?

How does her crop feel—empty and flat, full, puffy or hard? Is her breath sour or bad smelling? Can you check it again first thing in the morning before she eats or drinks? Does she lay eggs? Do you hear sneezing, or see any bubbles in an eye, or does she have any swelling on her face?
I will check her crop and she has not been laying any eggs. She doesn’t have any symptoms like sneezing, bubbles, or swelling

Hi I have a Plymouth Rock chicken with gurgling breathing, all the research I’ve done tells me she has a respiratory infection. I’ve been treating her with vetRX for two weeks and keeping her in my room but she still gurgles when she breathes sometimes. Does anyone have any at home treatments I can do?
I usually start with giving my hen a "spa day." Isolated in the house in a dog carrier with a towel. I give them a luke warm epsom salt bath with a few drops of essential oils in it and soothe them with cups full of water on their back and under wings. In the mean time I can see them closely to examine the skin, eyes, feet, neck, under wings and see if there is anything out of the ordinary. Once in the carrier, I can monitor the droppings, and I give them a natural electrolyte water I make. If they aren't drinking from a dish they will take it from a dropper happily. Something high in iron to eat. I use no salt tuna. After a few hours I can usually tell what is bothering them.

I usually start with giving my hen a "spa day." Isolated in the house in a dog carrier with a towel. I give them a luke warm epsom salt bath with a few drops of essential oils in it and soothe them with cups full of water on their back and under wings. In the mean time I can see them closely to examine the skin, eyes, feet, neck, under wings and see if there is anything out of the ordinary. Once in the carrier, I can monitor the droppings, and I give them a natural electrolyte water I make. If they aren't drinking from a dish they will take it from a dropper happily. Something high in iron to eat. I use no salt tuna. After a few hours I can usually tell what is bothering them.
Ok I can do that. She has been kept in a carrier in my room since I found out about her breathing. Her dropping look fine.

Electrolyte drink, add to a container and mix well:
2 TBSP fine Sugar
2 Tsp Baking Soda
2 Tsp Salt
2 Tsp Potassium Chloride (optional) Works good without it too

*Use 1.5 Tsp of powder to 1 Quart filtered water or let tap water sit for 12 hours for the chlorine to dissipate. You can also use organic coconut water.

Since it is only for one chicken you can half or quarter the water mixure and powder. Only keep it for up to a day.

I sure hope she gets to feeling better.

Sorry to hear about your hen.
Vet rx is NOT medicine, it's just vicks rub for chickens, it won't cure anything.
I would hold back on the bath for now, if she's already stressed that could put her over the edge.
I'd also but her back in with the others, the longer she's gone, the harder it will be for her to integrate back into the flock and it's not great for you for her to be inside, there are several serious issues you can get.
How old is she? What's her diet?

If your hen has a respiratory virus, especially if they are "vaccinated," in my opinion, the worst thing you could do, is put it back in with the others. Follow your instincts. You know better than any of us even if you don't think so right now. Integrating a hen who lost thier place in the pecking order is way easier than killing your whole flock. As chicken owners, we bring in new hens all of time, and they integrate and figure it out. I am just trying to help, please disgregard if anything I told you sounds too scary and wrong information. God Bless you and please update the status of your flock.

Back
Top Bottom