H.O.A. (Home Owners' Assassination)

Bobby Basham

Crowing
7 Years
Jul 20, 2012
Tucson, Arizona
Hey Folks,

My name is Bobby Basham from Tucson, Arizona. I'll give a full introduction and post a profile/whatever when I go on vacation in a couple of weeks.

I live in a concrete jungle, all the homes landscaped in the front, with matching trees on both sides of the driveway, pretty pink gravel etc in the front and sides, and each house has a 5 ft brick wall along the sides and back. You will get a friendly reminder if you get weeds in the front, or if they can see them through your side gate. The fees here are $26 bucks/month.

I live on a a Peninsula, where the street in the front ends in a culdesac, and the street behind me ends in a culdesac. My section of houses are at an angled NW orientation. Those houses in the back are slightly elevated, and EVERYONE can see into my back yard. No nude sunbathing here, LOL!

However, our City ordinance allows up to 24 hens with no permit required, and reading through the by-laws, this HOA allows a reasonable number of recognized House or YARD pets, including animals, birds, fowl, poultry and livestock, as long as they are kept, bred or raised solely as domestic pets and not for commercial purposes. I thought there was a specific number regarding poultry, but can't find it right now.

The City also states that coops need to be a minimum of 50 feet from the residence of others, but the HOA does not state any distance. They seem to be concerned about noise and nuisances, so I have a nice space about 7 1/2 foot wide right next to my patio where I can put a small coop, and can extend a low run at least 40 feet, and that common wall is about six feet.

My neighbor has a HUGE Pit Bull that stands on a raised planter bed on the dividing wall and barks at anything that moves. I've never seen such a large beast in my life, well fed and healthy (looks alittle older with some gray around the whiskers), and I'm afraid to go near the wall to cut weeds. I had my back patio door open and sneezed one time, and he had a fit. He even barks when I open my garage door in the front of my house, even when he's in his back yard.

One neighbor said "he's completely harmless, just likes to make alot of noise claiming his territory." Maybe so, because he hasn't eaten the Palmoranian that the neighbor has that also yaps constantly when outside. I bet he wouldn't let it loose over there with that pitbull.

Then, on the other side of my house, I've got two ankle-biters there...some type of chuhuhua mixes yapping all the time. They were yapping this morning when I was up at 4:00am.

Don't fall asleep...I tend to write essays.

I talked to the HOA manager about putting up a kennel. She said as long as it cannot be seen over the wall. Well, do you mean when you walk by on the sidewalk, or all the neighbors on the higher level who have a bird's eye view?

I haven't been around chickens since living on a farm back in the 50's/60's in Grove City, Pennsylvania, and I really miss those days growing up with six other siblings.

My back yard is very big and just a blank canvas of dirt right now, and taking a few weeks off during August, to see what I can come up with.

I usually read ALL posts before posting something that may be redundant. I hear it all the time at Phonoland.com. I collect older console recordplayers to restore to keep and/or give them away to co-workers and friends...electronics is one of several side hobbies, and I get tired of people posting "where to buy a needle" when it's already in the FAQ.

Anyhoo, I've been checking out different sites about coops. Those CConly coops seem to be nice, but from what I've read, there are mixed reviews on those, being cheaply constructed and made in China...maybe can get one and do some reinforcement on them. I love power tools and can handle them very well, and I'm not in the mood for building something from scratch until I decide to retire next year.

Right now, I'm just doing some drawings of what I would like to create for my back yard to make it appeasing and entertaining. The wheels are turning right now, and I'm gonna take alittle bit of what everyone has contributed to come up with my own mix.

One thing bothers me, though. Should I feel guilty about mature, clucking hens doing their egg song, when I got four dogs barking on both sides of my property?

Lemme bring this disseration to a close. On another note...Do you let your chickens listen to Music? I've heard from the past that they like Classical and NPR Radio. Don't play Hard Rock, 'cause it seems to agitate them. I don't know about Gospel, because they might jump up and start speaking in tongues and popping out premature eggs ...well they have their own tongues to begin with...LOL! I plan rigging up some music (through an underground cable) and let the girls listen.

I play Gospel, Jazz, Blues, Classical piano and organ, and maybe I can make some recordings of myself to keep them entertained during the day. The thoughts and possibilites are endless, what I won't do for the gals I haven't even obtained yet.

Keep up the good work, folks, and I applaud you for what you do to bring back that old love and educating all the idiots out there who don't understand the part that poultry and other fowl play in our lives. --BB

Bobby Basham
Tucson, Arizona

I was bringing new chicks home last night and they went crazy when R&B was playing, when I switched to rock they went silent. Switching back and forth was amusing. It was like hitting the mute button on the chicks.

My girls love classical, country music and talk radio. I tend to play CBC so they get a mix of talking and classical.

As for your neighbour's Pit Bull, might I recommend that you ask your neighbour to introduce you to him? Most Pit Bulls will guard property. Some may show aggression to other dogs, but despite what you hear in the media, most do not have human aggression issues. Once the dog knows you he may stop barking at you and may, in fact, only alert when something happens in your yard and you are away. Take advantage of the opportunity to make friends with your neighbours and their dogs. It can only make your life with chickens better. Ask them their ideas about your "kennel". You may guess that I own a Pit Bull. He will bark when something out of the ordinary is happening, but he is terrifically gentle with people, young children especially, and he does not bother my birds in any way. I hope your neighbour's dog is as awesome as mine.

Thanks so much for the welcome, Mama Hen Chris. I didn't know that there was an Arizona Chicken thread, and I will check out that link. This is just a hobby that's been on the back burner for many years, and would like to take a stab at it. I want something to keep me motivated if I retire next year. I'm not an old coot, and will be 57 next Thursday, Autust 2nd.

My former Pastor (I'm an organist/pianist) used to raise chickens and rabbits, and often entered his critters at local shows. I think he came away with many Blue Ribbons. I have no interest in going that far, just want a few gals to keep me company since I'm single and live in a huge house alone. LOVE IT!

SouthernAlberta, I hear what you're saying about pitbulls not being people-aggressive...the same goes for fighting cocks...people friendly, yes, but don't let another animal near them. I just don't like the fact that this dog stands up with his paws over the common wall wailing at everything. Obviously, he's a good watch dog. I just think he wants to let his presence be known, claiming his territory, but if I find him in my yard trying to get a free chicken dinner, he will be shot. In Arizona, it's a Class 6 Felony/M1 Misdemeanor for discharging a firearm within city limits, but I think it's permitted if you are trying to protect your flock and/or pets. I work in the legal profession, and will have to recheck that.

BUT...we had an incident here in Tucson, Arizona where an owner was trying to break up a fight between his two dogs, one being a pitbull. In his attempt, the pitbull attacked him and he went to the hospital with severe wounds and had both arms amputated. I think he was on life support for two weeks until they decided to pull the plug. I don't wanna get into a pitbull debate, but that's what happened here, and it's a shame that a pet owner died because his pet turned on him. --BB

Bobby Basham
Tucson, Arizona

Hi. I thought that was a great suggestion to extend the olive branch to the dog owner. Could be constructive for both sides.
Last year my alarm went off and it looked like someone may have pried a window open, metal piece missing. But the weird part, my dogs (retrievers ) didn't bark. I had the police come check. They said faulty alarm and said I was lucky to have a dog "nothing gets past these guys"

No suggestions about the coop, but I don't play music for my chickens. I don't think they would care. They seem happy to go off and scratch for bugs in the woods.

Good luck.

Welcome Bobby!

I don't have any advice on coops. My guys live in a dog kennel.

We also have an HOA. According to the town, my chickens are completely legit. According to my HOA, they're illegal. We are now on our second batch of broilers this year, no layers yet as my husband is paranoid we're going to get evicted or something, LOL.

We, however, have privacy fencing and wooded lots. So, basically, no one has noticed our chickens. We elected to just not inform our neighbors that they were coming, and they haven't noticed them yet between the acre lot and the privacy fence.

I tend to just follow the HOA rules when it suits me and city laws when that suits me better. Have you talked to your neighbors? Your HOA sounds like its much more on top of things than mine, LOL, we've definitely had some weeds and they haven't come knocking yet. I bet as long as it looks nice no one will care- and there are some BYCer's whose chickens are housed in places nicer than we all live, LOL. A lot of them its hard to tell that its not a super nice garden shed.

Greetings from a fellow Tucsonan and
welcome-byc.gif
I'd avoid the pre-fabbed types of coops you mentioned above; in addition to the quality issues, they wouldn't be a very good choice for our climate. As Mama Hen Chris suggested, come by the AZ thread, look at our coops and ask lots of questions as you prepare. You'll find lots of helpful folks there. Good luck with your chicken preparations.

Hey Folks,

My name is Bobby Basham from Tucson, Arizona.  I'll give a full introduction and post a profile/whatever when I go on vacation in a couple of weeks.

I live in a concrete jungle, all the homes landscaped in the front, with matching trees on both sides of the driveway, pretty pink gravel etc in the front and sides, and each house has a 5 ft brick wall along the sides and back.  You will get a friendly reminder if you get weeds in the front, or if they can see them through your side gate. The fees here are $26 bucks/month.

I live on a a Peninsula, where the street in the front ends in a culdesac, and the street behind me ends in a culdesac. My section of houses are at an angled NW orientation.  Those houses in the back are slightly elevated, and EVERYONE can see into my back yard. No nude sunbathing here, LOL!

However, our City ordinance allows up to 24 hens with no permit required, and reading through the by-laws, this HOA allows a reasonable number of recognized House or YARD pets, including animals, birds, fowl, poultry and livestock, as long as they are kept, bred or raised solely as domestic pets and not for commercial purposes.  I thought there was a specific number regarding poultry, but can't find it right now.

The City also states that coops need to be a minimum of 50 feet from the residence of others, but the HOA does not state any distance.  They seem to be concerned about noise and nuisances, so I have a nice space about 7 1/2 foot wide right next to my patio where I can put a small coop, and can extend a low run at least 40 feet, and that common wall is about six feet.

My neighbor has a HUGE Pit Bull that stands on a raised planter bed on the dividing wall and barks at anything that moves.  I've never seen such a large beast in my life, well fed and healthy (looks alittle older with some gray around the whiskers), and I'm afraid to go near the wall to cut weeds. I had my back patio door open and sneezed one time, and he had a fit. He even barks when I open my garage door in the front of my house, even when he's in his back yard.

One neighbor said "he's completely harmless, just likes to make alot of noise claiming his territory." Maybe so, because he hasn't eaten the Palmoranian that the neighbor has that also yaps constantly when outside. I bet he wouldn't let it loose over there with that pitbull.

Then, on the other side of my house, I've got two ankle-biters there...some type of chuhuhua mixes yapping all the time.  They were yapping this morning when I was up at 4:00am.

Don't fall asleep...I tend to write essays.

I talked to the HOA manager about putting up a kennel.  She said as long as it cannot be seen over the wall.  Well, do you mean when you walk by on the sidewalk, or all the neighbors on the higher level who have a bird's eye view?

I haven't been around chickens since living on a farm back in the 50's/60's in Grove City, Pennsylvania, and I really miss those days growing up with six other siblings.

My back yard is very big and just a blank canvas of dirt right now, and taking a few weeks off during August, to see what I can come up with.

I usually read ALL posts before posting something that may be redundant.  I hear it all the time at Phonoland.com.  I collect older console recordplayers to restore to keep and/or give them away to co-workers and friends...electronics is one of several side hobbies, and I get tired of people posting "where to buy a needle" when it's already in the FAQ.

Anyhoo, I've been checking out different sites about coops.  Those CConly coops seem to be nice, but from what I've read, there are mixed reviews on those, being cheaply constructed and made in China...maybe can get one and do some reinforcement on them. I love power tools and can handle them very well, and I'm not in the mood for building something from scratch until I decide to retire next year.

Right now, I'm just doing some drawings of what I would like to create for my back yard to make it appeasing and entertaining.  The wheels are turning right now, and I'm gonna take alittle bit of what everyone has contributed to come up with my own mix.

One thing bothers me, though.  Should I feel guilty about mature, clucking hens doing their egg song, when I got four dogs barking on both sides of my property?

Lemme bring this disseration to a close.  On another note...Do you let your chickens listen to Music?  I've heard from the past that they like Classical and NPR Radio.  Don't play Hard Rock, 'cause it seems to agitate them. I don't know about Gospel, because they might jump up and start speaking in tongues and popping out premature eggs ...well they have their own tongues to begin with...LOL!  I plan rigging up some music (through an underground cable) and let the girls listen.

I play Gospel, Jazz, Blues, Classical piano and organ, and maybe I can make some recordings of myself to keep them entertained during the day.  The thoughts and possibilites are endless, what I won't do for the gals I haven't even obtained yet.

Keep up the good work, folks, and I applaud you for what you do to bring back that old love and educating all the idiots out there who don't understand the part that poultry and other fowl play in our lives. --BB

Bobby Basham
Tucson, Arizona

Welcome to BYC..
You will love all of the information and as my cousin call us " crazy chicken ladies".
I told her I'm not crazy everyone else is!! Then I said define "normal" another discussion..

Can't wait to hear what kind of girls you get.. Will you get new chicks or older girls?

I went on the coop forum then went threw hundreds of pre-fab, home made , recycled
& kept them on our IPAD to show a family friend what we wanted.. I like looking at
the home made designs.. They had more style.. I think if your going to do it do it
nice.. That way you will be able to enjoy the coop and the girls.. Our family and
neighbors are mostly gardeners.. We are planning our side yard just for the girls..
There is a book called "Free range chicken gardens"
Enjoy it all!! Let us know if you are on this side of town? Pop on over for a cup
of tea and check out our coop.. Once the weather permits we will have a day & evening
to visit with the girls.. They were born the first of July..
Weather permits= cooler evenings.. We will send out a invitation ..
We have roasted hot dogs and marshmallows on an open fire.. So end of sept??

Those dogs non stop barking really.. Our neighborhood will only stand for about 30 min
or so then if it continues there must be something wrong.. Just call animal control they
will help out and let the owner of the "non stop barking dogs" & help them..
I feel sad for the dogs and all that have to hear that.. We tell our neighbors to remain
Anonymous for their own friendship with that other neighbor.. It is not worth the confrontation.

There is a coop that has a garden on top.. I will look for it and post.. We still can't post
photos.. I think it is because we use out IPAD.. I might need to go on the home computor
to do that??

Back
Top Bottom