Had to cull my crippled chick- Vinegar and Baking Soda Method

I had posted on this thread just above and unfortunately the time did come again and I had a little crossed beaked ameraucana chick. Her little beak grew quickly to where she couldn't eat properly.

I had made the decision not to prolong another life just because I couldn't face having to deal with my responsibilities in this area of owning chickens.

So I read a lot and decided that this CO2 'chamber' was the kindest way for me. I did it and it was quick and successful but still heartbreaking. I am tearing up just writing this.

Thank you for posting this again. Many of us who are backyard chicken enthusiasts and have a little flock never think about having to deal with this side of owning animals but with threads like this and people like you all to help and support people, it shows us that we can be responsible and respectful to the little lives we are in charge of.

Thank you
hugs.gif

I'll have to try this next time I have to cull a chick. Over the summer I drowned a couple that had crossed beaks and that was a noisy, prolonged way to go.

This is, indeed, a valuable thread.
If the time ever comes where I have to cull a chick, I'll use either the starter fluid or CO2 method.
I've already set on a shelf the necessary components just in case they're needed.

By using carbon dioxide, you are suffocating it. I fail to see how this is any kinder than simply snipping it's head off. It's a lot less horrifying to the person doing it, agreed, but I question it being more "kind" to the animal itself. On reflection, I realize the method probably doesn't matter. It's just as dead either way and you didn't freak your own self out doing the deed. I simply don't think of it being any more kind. Any way you end a life, you've still ended a life. I just think the quicker the better.

Quote:
I am a little nervous - I am thinking this is a method that is only good for small chicks.
Please tell me you're not going to use this on a kitten/cat/puppy/dog/full grown chicken?

hu.gif

I have had to put down our 18 year old cat, a full grown chicken and a small chick. This is the method I use. I put the animal in a box and close it. I cut a hole in the side big enough for one end of my vaccum cleaner hose. I hook up the other end to the exhaust pipe on my car.. It is over in less then three minutes. I have stood next to the box to make sure what ever was in the box was not struggling. NO struggle!,No mess. when I open the box it is like they are sleeping.

Hope Nobody has to cull a pet. but this is a very easy way!

Quote:
I think it's more kind than drowning!

But not as kind then just snipping the head off. Its quick and easy, you don't waste time setting up a gas chamber.

Just do the deed and be done with it.

Back
Top Bottom