Had to help a shrink wrapped chick . . . now what?

CedarWaxwing

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 6, 2009
SW MI
We had a late hatcher in our incubator. The humidity dropped because I removed some chicks that were already hatched. Today I removed a few more that just needed to dry off and decided to look at the other eggs in case there was a pip that I had missed.

Well there was not only a pip, but a partial zip and a lot of peeping coming from one of the eggs! I could see that it was struggling. I put more water in the incubator and let it sit for a couple more hours while I took my kids to the dentist. (This was on day 24).

When I got back, it hadn't made any progress. I could see the membrane was very white and turning tan. The chick was peeping its head off. I picked at the shell and was able to peel the membrane off of the chick. There was no blood and the yolk sac was completely absorbed, so I took that as a good sign.

I put the baby back in the incubator to dry off.

Is there anything else I can do to help it out? Or just let it fluff up and cross my fingers?

Incredible! That chick let you know it needed help and needed it NOW! Good for you for understanding its need!

We'll be waiting for the next update!

I checked on the chick this morning, and it's looking pretty good. I moved it from the incubator to the brooder. It's kind of goopy, if that makes sense. It looks wet, but I think it still has some dried up membrane stuck to it. I didn't want to risk it getting to cold by washing it since I didn't have a hair dryer or anything.

Do you think I should try washing it off? Or just let it be?

Oh, and also, an egg that hadn't even pipped hatched in that same incubator! I thought for sure we had as many chicks as we were going to get! I was so surprised! :)

Update: "Chevrolet" (my daughter thinks this is the most beautiful name in the world) is doing great! She's a bit smaller than her buddies, but is getting along fine and isn't bullied or anything.

She's a light brahma, so I'm sure she'll be big in no time :)

Back
Top Bottom