Ham shanks ok for chickens?

ash_en_em

Songster
5 Years
Mar 4, 2018
Northeast Ohio
I usually give my give my girls some sort of scraps (carrot peelings, celery greens, lettuce scraps, apple peelings, fruit that is beginning to get mushy, bits of cooked chicken, left over scrambled eggs, etc). Not so much that it's unhealthy, but I'll toss some out to them every few days in the evening.

Tonight I used ham shanks to make broth for ham and bean soup. The shanks are completely in tact, and since we're getting a cold snap I thought I'd warm one up in the oven tomorrow morning and throw it in their run. I was just wondering if anyone else had done this, or if you think it's ok? I've given them the bone of venison shoulder roast before with his if meat still on it and they devoured it. The bone was unbelievably clean in an hour. I'm just not sure about ham.

Maybe this is silly to even be asking, but I thought I'd check with sk of you amazingly knowledgeable folks here first before I toss the cooked shank to my 6 girls tomorrow.

I usually give my give my girls some sort of scraps (carrot peelings, celery greens, lettuce scraps, apple peelings, fruit that is beginning to get mushy, bits of cooked chicken, left over scrambled eggs, etc). Not so much that it's unhealthy, but I'll toss some out to them every few days in the evening.

Tonight I used ham shanks to make broth for ham and bean soup. The shanks are completely in tact, and since we're getting a cold snap I thought I'd warm one up in the oven tomorrow morning and throw it in their run. I was just wondering if anyone else had done this, or if you think it's ok? I've given them the bone of venison shoulder roast before with his if meat still on it and they devoured it. The bone was unbelievably clean in an hour. I'm just not sure about ham.

Maybe this is silly to even be asking, but I thought I'd check with sk of you amazingly knowledgeable folks here first before I toss the cooked shank to my 6 girls tomorrow.
How salty is it?

It's really not that salty. I pulled a bit of meat off it and tried it. I know salt can be a concern, but there's salt even in most feeds. Not to mention they seem to find things that chickens "shouldn't" be eating in the garden and farm fields while they're free ranging anyway lol. They seem very happy and healthy and I get at least three eggs a day between the 6 of them. Big beautiful eggs.

I'm just concerned about it harming them. Would one small ham shank between 6 chickens be an issue? Even if it were slightly salty?

It's really not that salty. I pulled a bit of meat off it and tried it. I know salt can be a concern, but there's salt even in most feeds. Not to mention they seem to find things that chickens "shouldn't" be eating in the garden and farm fields while they're free ranging anyway lol. They seem very happy and healthy and I get at least three eggs a day between the 6 of them. Big beautiful eggs.

I'm just concerned about it harming them. Would one small ham shank between 6 chickens be an issue? Even if it were slightly salty?
When motto has always been "When in doubt, don't".

They'll be fine eating it. You said you boiled it down to make stock. Most of the salt is now in the stock. The ham will be a good protein source.
I gave my chickens the Thanksgiving turkey carcass and they had a blast with it.

Back
Top Bottom