Hamburgs

holhoenkrielhand.jpg

hollhoenkrielhaan_jdd.jpg

I have a trio of silver spangled bantams and the rooster looks incredible. My oldest son was visiting recently and was very impressed with them. He said that because of the shape of the roosters comb he looks as if he is running and that if he had one he'd call him Speed Racer.

I'm thinking of adding three Hamburg females to my flock of five hens. Don't know if I'd start with baby chicks or older pullets. I'm not sure about it, though, because I'm afraid the Hamburgs would get bullied too much. I've heard that this breed is not only small, but also not terribly assertive. Can anyone tell me about their experience integrating Hamburgs into a mixed flock? My flock aren't very aggressive and currently get along well, though I do worry that the two Exchequer Leghorn pullets I added back in June would give any newcomers a run for their money.

I know this is an old thread, but does anyone know if a younger Hamburg get along with a 2 year old Ancona? I am thinking of getting a Hamburg for next spring. :)

Did you ever get your Hamburg? I wasn't that thrilled when I first got mine - quite by accident, and I didn't know if she would ever start laying. When she finally did, she hasn't quit!
She does very well with a flock. Not aggressive and if another is aggressive she just retreats and minds her own business and they forget about her. Very independent, does her own thing,
doesn't eat much at all. The eggs strarted out small, but not so now. I would probably add another in the future, altho they would not have been my breed of choice in the beginning.

Back
Top Bottom