Hand print ornaments with salt dough and plaster?

reveriereptile

Songster
11 Years
Mar 17, 2008
Northern NY
I've been looking around on how to make some first Christmas hand print ornaments. I seen some of the salt dough impressions and the shatter proof ball with the print on it. What I did come across was the raised clay impressions made into plaster of Paris that I really liked.

I was wanting to know if anyone had used the plaster before for raised prints? I seen some that used play dough to make the impression in and then have the plaster poured into it for easy removing later. Can you use salt dough to do this? For a large 7 month's old hand print how much plaster should I probably use? I was thinking of making the print into a small circle just a bit bigger than his hand. I don't want to make to much and waste the plaster. Would a cup be enough?

Also when using salt dough by itself for ornaments I bought some acrylic paint, paint marker, gloss acrylic sealer that you paint on, and some gloss mod podge. Does the sealer or mod podge look better with it. I want a nice shiny look. I was also wanting to know if you use the paint marker on top of the sealer or would it be alright under it without smearing? I've never worked with mod podge but always here about it and see a ton of cute craft ideas using it.

What is a good way to get a painted print onto paper or an ornament ball? I thought of doing his feet on a made card that says Mistletoes on it and a hand print on a ball. I've heard to put the paint on a sponge first like an ink pad to help get just enough paint. Are there any other tips?

I was wondering if anyone ever did impressions of their poultry's feet? I thought that would be cute. I've seen a bunch done of dogs but no birds.

I believe I would make 2 cups better to have a little too much than not enough, I made plaster foot prints and hand prints of my kids when they were about 2 and 3 yrs of age, went out side and found some mud and had them step in it and make the hand print like that too, they thought it was great fun and I now have their prints in shadow boxes, how time flies thanks for the memories. Oh I even did the dogs like this too, but have to admit it was easier to do with the kids.
big_smile.png

I'll definitely give it a try.

I did get a no cook dough recipe instead of buying the play dough. It's pretty much the same as the salt dough but with a tablespoon of cooking oil. With having a husband who has a stomach bug and a 7 month old I didn't want to mess around to long on making the dough up. I've got a dish tub that I'll knead the dough in so I don't have it everywhere.

I have these plastic tupperware things that are tall. I may either take the lid off and cut the other end off. Then I might be able to make the dough thick, make the print, put the tupperware into the dough around the print, and pour the plaster in. I could also use a couple straws in the dough for the ribbon holes. Another thought was to take and build the dough thick up around it to make like a bowl shape and have the dough hold the plaster in place. I think the tupperware is the perfect size for his hand without being to big. It also tapers so I could just cut it to the size I need.

Here's a video link I found incase anyone else wants to try it.

Back
Top Bottom