Hand turn vs. Automatic turner in incubator

MaryZoe

Songster
6 Years
Jun 26, 2016
Naples, FL
I have hatched plenty of eggs in Brinsea incubators (and under broody hens). I have always used the automatic turners (I have two 7-egg mini Brinseas and one 14-egg Maxi). Recently a friend of mine borrowed my Brinsea 7-egg incubators and did an experiment: she hand-turned the eggs in one 'bator and left the automatic turner to turn the eggs in the other. Interestingly enough, she had a much higher hatch rate in the hand-turned incubator.

All the eggs came from my farm, and she randomly placed them in the different incubators. Now, I know that this "experiment" is not at all scientific--there are tons of variables that might have affected one incubator and caused the higher hatch rate, but I'm wondering what other people's experience has been. Has anyone else noticed a higher hatch rate when turning by hand? It seemed counter-intuitive to me.

I am about to set a bunch of Greenfire Farms eggs, so I want to get the highest hatch rate possible--those babies are eggspensive!!!!!!!!! ;)

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

I assumed that she used 2 identical incubators (Brinsea mini II)? It will be interesting to know since hand turning 3x a day you lose heat and humidity consistently thus affect everything.
We have Brinsea Ovation 28 EX, and we had a pretty good hatch rate to near 100% using it 6x since last year, now I just bought a 7 egg mini II couple months ago and had only 60% hatch rate on the first hatch.

Yes, they were both Brinsea Mini II Advance incubators, and all the eggs came from the same chickens. I'm using them both again now, along with a Maxi (14 egg) Brinsea. I'm impressed that you had almost 100% rates with your Ovation 28. I get pretty good rates (80%ish) with my own chix's eggs, but the eggs I'm hatching now are shipped. Fingers crossed!

I think I will try to hand turn the Mini incubators, but use the automatic turner for the Maxi (more valuable eggs).

One slightly frustrating aspect of the Brinsea is that the eggs have to lie on their sides. Because these are shipped, I know they should be incubated pointy-side down and not turned for the first several days. I'm leaving them on their sides and crossing my fingers.

In terms of loss of temp and humidity, I live in Florida, so the summer is incredibly humid, and I move quickly, keeping the top of the incubator flat on a counter-top, so when I put it back on, it takes only a short time to get back up to temp.

Anyway, thanks for your input. Happy hatching! mz

That could be the factor on mini and maxi the eggs are on its side, while the ovation models have turning trays eggs upright.

I have my turners boxed up for my styro ovens. I get much higher rates by hand turning. BUT I CAN'T go anywhere far. Tethered for 20+ days.
Also as I H/T, I re-position orientation.
I like H/T-ing because I feel it is almost like the hen abruptly turning/excising the contents- vs the gradual rocking.
They get clacked around like in a natural setting.
chick egg.gif
chick egg.gif
chick egg.gif
chick egg.gif

Interesting. Do you set your eggs upright somehow, or are they on their sides, like mine in the Brinsea? And do you ever set shipped eggs? I decided to start all over again this summer, as last summer I bought some hens that eventually infected my flock with Mc/mg. I treated them last year, and they have shown no symptoms for 6-8 months, but I can no longer sell hatching eggs or chickens, which is starting to bug me. So I’m giving them all away to people with Mc/mg positive flocks and starting over with shipped eggs from mc/mg free flocks. It’s a pain, but I think it will be worth it. Now I’ll be a freak about bio-security. I was too relaxed before, and it’s not worth it!

If you aren't using an automatic egg turner then on their sides I believe. Automatic egg turner works out best for me because I have a better hatch rate and I don't want to open the incubator.

I think its too small of a sample size to look real far into the results. There are too many variables as you mentioned earlier. It is interesting and it would be nice if someone "scientifically" tested auto vs hand turning.

My vote is auto turners. I've incubated over 300 shipped quail eggs and over all the hatches I've averaged a 74% hatch rate on total eggs set and a 93% hatch rate on viable eggs at lockdown. This is with GQF 1266 cabinet incubator with automatic turners.

I see you considered upgrading to an ovation 28. I've never used brinsea incubators but I've great success with my 20 year old GQF cabinet incubator I bought off craigslist. I bought it for $250. Before you buy another tabletop incubator I hope would at least consider purchasing a cabinet incubator. I used to think paying $700 for a new one was ridiculous but after owning this one I wouldn't hesitate to buy a new one. They work great and hold 250 chicken eggs....

I have 98 pheasant eggs supposed to hatch this weekend....
20180525_144445.jpg

Last edited:
Funny--I was just on Craigslist looking at GQF cabinet incubators. I will keep a lookout for cheap, used cabinet incubators and see what I can find. If I'm going to spend a lot on eggs to start a serious flock, I might as well be able to incubate and sell more than a handful at a time. I must say, though, that my Brinsea have been reliable and successful for my small hatches up until now. MUCH better than the Styrofoam incubator I borrowed once from someone. I will never use one of those again. I lost a lot of lovely eggs due to the incredible fluctuation of the temp in that one. Live and learn.

Back
Top Bottom