Handling a young cockerel tips?

If you need to have him in your lap, it should only be 'by invitation only'; your invitation, not his demand. He is being pushy here! And no bird gets close to my eyeballs, ever. Mary

He only does it when I am sitting down, he won't try and hop on me if I am crouching or standing, as I stopped him from doing that as a chick. Also I keep complete control over them, both him and the hens, when they snuggle into my hair, keeping a hand on their neck to direct them to the side of my own neck and pet their necks so that I can quickly regain control if needed as they happily snuggle into my hair. I trust my birds and they trust me, but I don't trust them enough to allow them free range of my face. :p

Also he is doing his job as a flock defender with his dad, when we had a wandering sparrowhawk circling the house, both him and Rooroo sounded an 'sky predator' alarm and herded the hens and chicks to safety. Rooroo however walked out away from the hen and stood guard in the open himself, presumingly to take on the bird of prey if it dared to swoop, while Peep-Peep kept with his siblings and mother, who was passive until a while after the hawk passed and then she resumed being a pest and harassing the younger hens and Peep-Peep until they moved to the bottom part of the yard.

Hehey, y'all mind if I hop onto this thread?
I've got a welsummer cockerel who I have a bad feeling about... He's about 3 months old, started crowing at 8 weeks, and since then has become quite the bossy little brat. :rolleyes:

We ordered 5 wellies, four pullets and a cockerel, from our feed store, and they ordered an extra - turns out we got TWO boys and four girls. :hmm The cockerel that had the red dye on his head was always (and still is) SUPER chill. Not pushy, not super friendly, none of that. He's just cool with people. :love He also matured WAY slower than Hawk... It looks like Rooster is a week younger then him! :/ And then Hawk..... Hawk was always the problem child. He was the eye-pecker. Most aggressive chick I've ever seen, and although he hasn't attacked me (yet), any tips on keeping him from becoming overly agressive? He's turned at me and fluffed his hackles, but I smacked his tail and pushed him away. Im not going to kick him until he kicks me - i figure if ikickhim now, he'll realize that my leg is a target. Since he crowed I've only held him if I had to, to let him grow up and figure out rooster thongs on his own - also not to "embarrass" him in front of his girls (who are too young to even care :lol: ). I pet him on the roost and he does that "purr" at me, like "skedaddle lady,I'm to manly to be pet" :lol:

Advice? Tia

Hehey, y'all mind if I hop onto this thread?
I've got a welsummer cockerel who I have a bad feeling about... He's about 3 months old, started crowing at 8 weeks, and since then has become quite the bossy little brat. :rolleyes:

We ordered 5 wellies, four pullets and a cockerel, from our feed store, and they ordered an extra - turns out we got TWO boys and four girls. :hmm The cockerel that had the red dye on his head was always (and still is) SUPER chill. Not pushy, not super friendly, none of that. He's just cool with people. :love He also matured WAY slower than Hawk... It looks like Rooster is a week younger then him! :/ And then Hawk..... Hawk was always the problem child. He was the eye-pecker. Most aggressive chick I've ever seen, and although he hasn't attacked me (yet), any tips on keeping him from becoming overly agressive? He's turned at me and fluffed his hackles, but I smacked his tail and pushed him away. Im not going to kick him until he kicks me - i figure if ikickhim now, he'll realize that my leg is a target. Since he crowed I've only held him if I had to, to let him grow up and figure out rooster thongs on his own - also not to "embarrass" him in front of his girls (who are too young to even care :lol: ). I pet him on the roost and he does that "purr" at me, like "skedaddle lady,I'm to manly to be pet" :lol:

Advice? Tia

When Peep-Peep has his moments, I lightly poke or pat him on the back or nudge him, and he does a "but muuuum" like whine and crawls away. If he is in your way, don't walk around him, he has to move out of your way and if he refuses, pat his tail or poke him on the head or neck and he should move. I also hand-feed my chickoos, and when Peep-Peep (or the hens) pecks too hard when taking the treat, I give him a little 'peck' back and he becomes much more gentle.

If he does jump you, don't kick him as he'll then see you as a threat and become even more aggressive, instead pin him and tap him on the head or back and hold him until he stops struggling and let him go once he has calmed down properly. Cockerels/Roosters are quite complex as you have to balance dominance with trust, ya don't want to be too soft or too harsh.

As for the eye-pecking thing, all my chickens tend to ignore my eyes whenever they are snuggling into my hair so I have no experience with that, but I still keep a hold of them just in case, as you never know with animals.

The worst is one chick who the hen is raising who is fascinated by my teeth, COMPLETELY ignores my eyes, but the moment I start speaking it fixates on my mouth and tries to eat my teeth. I give it a little poke, which makes it do a little squeak, but it continues to try and eat my teeth. :confused: It is still a little chirper and I hope I can break the habit.

Always make sure you let the cockerel know you are boss, not him. If you need to, chase him around a little or force him to squat-an act of submission. He can still sit on your lap, but you must invite him, he doesn't decide when he does it. I know it may sound mean, but it is going to be helpful later if he does turn aggressive, which is likely for friendly cockerels. Don't kick him or hit him, which will only make him resent you and it will break the good relationship you seem to have with him. Bring him a yummy treat when you go out to visit him, it will help him see (if he were ever to turn aggressive) that when you come, it means good things.

Always make sure you let the cockerel know you are boss, not him. If you need to, chase him around a little or force him to squat-an act of submission. He can still sit on your lap, but you must invite him, he doesn't decide when he does it. I know it may sound mean, but it is going to be helpful later if he does turn aggressive, which is likely for friendly cockerels. Don't kick him or hit him, which will only make him resent you and it will break the good relationship you seem to have with him. Bring him a yummy treat when you go out to visit him, it will help him see (if he were ever to turn aggressive) that when you come, it means good things.
I agree. I will add that not kicking is good but if he mounts your foot I'd give it a little shake and shove him off. Then walk towards him and show him your in charge.
I have heard silkies to be rather docile lap chickens. He will learn from your other rooster and hens that put him in his place.

I agree. I will add that not kicking is good but if he mounts your foot I'd give it a little shake and shove him off. Then walk towards him and show him your in charge.
I have heard silkies to be rather docile lap chickens. He will learn from your other rooster and hens that put him in his place.
Oh yes, definitely shake him off if he mounts your foot, forgot to add that. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom