Rooster Help - Aggressive or Just Learning

Pics

Jasfarm

Songster
Nov 16, 2021
New England
Hello BYC!

Thank you to the articles on roosters and flock management - they have kept me from posting here 86 times! @Pyxis @Redhead Rae

I have a mixed flock of 13.

4 - Lavender Orps: 14 months
1 - Buff Orp: I think 4 years. We adopted her and her sister…
1 - Ameracuana: Jeannie is sisters with Buff. Also about 4 years.

These 6 all cruise together and the lavs joined these two last year. They are finally friends.

In April, we bought 7 new chicks from NPIP breeder in RI. We have a mix, not sure the breeder knew the breeds. 3 EE, 1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Brahma, 1 Barnyard Mix, and 1 Grey chicken. Sapphire Gem maybe?

This flock has been with the “big” girls since week 6. Still working on being friends - they are very scared of the big girls, but the big girls tend to ignore them.

Brahma is a roo. 1 EE is a roo.
EE’s name is Derek. He has recently started getting his hormones and has been trying to mount the others (not the bigs). I know from the articles, some said it’s hard to watch, but it’s part of the process. He’ll learn to be more gentle.

I gave Derek some passes. We also had a close call with a hawk (they free range) and guess who runs out on high alert to protect? Derek. Another pass.

Today, Derek went after two girls, the other EEs. One, he chased so much she was in an outright panic. He corned her in the fenced in garden and after he “mated” she was in shock. She let me pick her up and her little legs and wings were limp. She was terrified. She sat with me for over a half hour (she never lets us near her). Finally had her eating and drinking. Strike 1. Big strike.

Then he went after the second EE, and she fought so much and tried to escape. She got up right after but then ran and hid the rest of the afternoon. Even coaxing her with treats wouldn’t get her to come out. We kept Derek away from her after that. Strike 2.

Is this normal? Do I just need to accept that this is how the rooster works and he’ll get better?

He hasn’t shown any aggression to me, my husband, my dog…just when trying to mate his girls. They aren’t even mature yet!

TLDR:

How do you know when a roo just won’t work. If the girls are terrified of him, (one was slightly in shock today after a mating attempt), does that not bode well for him?

Thank you!

First Pic: Leslie after Derek scared her half to death
Second: OG crew
Third: Derek, Two EE behind him to the right
Fourth: Roo Brahma, Leslie, Doggo, Baryard Mix

Attachments

• 71114736217__8D205975-17A6-41D9-BC58-3977AA3A5F54.jpeg
    71114736217__8D205975-17A6-41D9-BC58-3977AA3A5F54.jpeg
    366.6 KB · Views: 406
  • IMG_5256.jpeg
    IMG_5256.jpeg
    986.9 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_5668.jpeg
    IMG_5668.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_5669.jpeg
    IMG_5669.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 51
Hello BYC!

Thank you to the articles on roosters and flock management - they have kept me from posting here 86 times! @Pyxis @Redhead Rae

I have a mixed flock of 13.

4 - Lavender Orps: 14 months
1 - Buff Orp: I think 4 years. We adopted her and her sister…
1 - Ameracuana: Jeannie is sisters with Buff. Also about 4 years.

These 6 all cruise together and the lavs joined these two last year. They are finally friends.

In April, we bought 7 new chicks from NPIP breeder in RI. We have a mix, not sure the breeder knew the breeds. 3 EE, 1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Brahma, 1 Barnyard Mix, and 1 Grey chicken. Sapphire Gem maybe?

This flock has been with the “big” girls since week 6. Still working on being friends - they are very scared of the big girls, but the big girls tend to ignore them.

Brahma is a roo. 1 EE is a roo.
EE’s name is Derek. He has recently started getting his hormones and has been trying to mount the others (not the bigs). I know from the articles, some said it’s hard to watch, but it’s part of the process. He’ll learn to be more gentle.

I gave Derek some passes. We also had a close call with a hawk (they free range) and guess who runs out on high alert to protect? Derek. Another pass.

Today, Derek went after two girls, the other EEs. One, he chased so much she was in an outright panic. He corned her in the fenced in garden and after he “mated” she was in shock. She let me pick her up and her little legs and wings were limp. She was terrified. She sat with me for over a half hour (she never lets us near her). Finally had her eating and drinking. Strike 1. Big strike.

Then he went after the second EE, and she fought so much and tried to escape. She got up right after but then ran and hid the rest of the afternoon. Even coaxing her with treats wouldn’t get her to come out. We kept Derek away from her after that. Strike 2.

Is this normal? Do I just need to accept that this is how the rooster works and he’ll get better?

He hasn’t shown any aggression to me, my husband, my dog…just when trying to mate his girls. They aren’t even mature yet!

TLDR:

How do you know when a roo just won’t work. If the girls are terrified of him, (one was slightly in shock today after a mating attempt), does that not bode well for him?

Thank you!

First Pic: Leslie after Derek scared her half to death
Second: OG crew
Third: Derek, Two EE behind him to the right
Fourth: Roo Brahma, Leslie, Doggo, Baryard Mix
Poor girls! That would have me mad, too. I know rooster expert @Shadrach has said that one of the only reasons he won't put up with a rooster is for poor behavior or treatment of the ladies.

Personally, I have a good rooster and he has never treated my (1) hen this way - and that's one hen even during his first spring.

There’s a chance this behavior changes, but it’s definitely a bad sign.

Two roosters is also probably too many for this size flock.

The easy answer is to rehome the EE and give the brahama a chance to step it up.
I was thinking this might be the case. We wanted to see who would be the better fit, especially since we have time with the Brahma he hasn’t even crowed, but could be because of the EE. Thank you for your help.

Poor girls! That would have me mad, too. I know rooster expert @Shadrach has said that one of the only reasons he won't put up with a rooster is for poor behavior or treatment of the ladies.

Personally, I have a good rooster and he has never treated my (1) hen this way - and that's one hen even during his first spring.
It was so sad. I understand there might be a little clumsiness at first, but he refused to stop. He wouldn’t stop until they submitted and he made them. It was so sad to see.

That sounds more of the roo experience I was hoping for. He’s only 3 months, and if he’s like this now, I worry for spring.

It was so sad. I understand there might be a little clumsiness at first, but he refused to stop. He wouldn’t stop until they submitted and he made them. It was so sad to see.

That sounds more of the roo experience I was hoping for. He’s only 3 months, and if he’s like this now, I worry for spring.
My guy only goes for it when the hen squats; he occasionally comes up and chest bumps her as if to ask, "how bout it?" but if she ignores him (which is most of the time) he finds something else to do. 😆

I am limited to my own experience with a very small flock, but I do think a good rooster is part of a peaceful dynamic vs. causing stress to his hens.

He is a cockerel, not a rooster, and is acting like the teenager he is.
Before I would get rid of him, (if you like him in other ways) I would try separating him for awhile.
Let him mature away from the pullets, and let them get into the swing of laying, and then see if he will be more gentlemanly to them.

No. He should be wooing the mature hens instead of raping the immature littles.

just when trying to mate his girls. They aren’t even mature yet!
But sometimes hormonal cockerels prefer to force themselves on younger and helpless birds which a good mature rooster would prevent if there was one with the flock.
This can severely damage the pullets, even lead to their death.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...y-lethargic-and-has-redness-on-face….1589968/

My guy only goes for it when the hen squats; he occasionally comes up and chest bumps her as if to ask, "how bout it?" but if she ignores him (which is most of the time) he finds something else to do. 😆

I am limited to my own experience with a very small flock, but I do think a good rooster is part of a peaceful dynamic vs. causing stress to his hens.
This is my first time with cockerels/Roos too. So this is helpful! Thank you!

He is a cockerel, not a rooster, and is acting like the teenager he is.
Before I would get rid of him, (if you like him in other ways) I would try separating him for awhile.
Let him mature away from the pullets, and let them get into the swing of laying, and then see if he will be more gentlemanly to them.
So there could be a chance for him? I’m just unsure where we would keep him away from the pullets. Which could be a deal breaker for Derek. 😢

He is good at keeping them in line, but I haven’t seen him lead them to food. He pigs out first.

Thank you! First time with cockerel/roo so this is all really helpful!

Back
Top Bottom