Is it the rooster or the hen

Colej1226

Hatching
Feb 27, 2024
I have one particular Buff Orpington that two different EE mix Roos are super aggressive to. We rehomed last year’s roo because he would just continually peck her head, but not mount her, even though she was trying to submit to it. He finally ended up ripping her skull open. She healed after we gave him away, but this year we have another mixed EE roo and he is doing the EXACT same thing to this poor hen. My question is, is the problem with my roosters or is something wrong with the hen?

She has never acted sick and does not seem sick now. There is not an open wound now, but there is a lot of scar tissue.

She has never acted sick and does not seem sick now. There is not an open wound now, but there is a lot of scar tissue.
He may be wanting to peck the scar tissue. Chickens will have it cast birds of disease. Is she checked for any diseases that may have been caused by the other roo? It sounds to me like something is up with the hen.

Check your hen for parasites if you haven’t already. I had a rooster picking on one hen and it turned out she was infested with lice. Once I got rid of all the lice she was accepted like the other hens.

Late to the party, but something similar happened to our flock last year. I couldn't figure out what was wrong with the hen. She had no parasites or sickness. The only thing I could think of was that she was starting to act broody. She never actually went broody, but her puffing up her feathers, and bossing the other girls around was when our roo started singling her out and bullying her. We ended up getting rid of him - especially since he began inviting the other girls to peck her head as well while he was mounting her. It was horrible. Anywho, the new rooster doesn't single her out - though he has his issues as well. I hope you find out what's going on. If only someone knew a real life Dr. Dolittle.

Back
Top Bottom