Rooster Injured Hen

Give her a raw egg yolk once a day for 3 days. There's beneficial amino acids, protein, and elements to keep her hydrated and nutritionally balanced for her well being.

We have a rooster (almost 1yr old) who has been really good until now. He’s been second on the totem pole to a head hen and this weekend he started trying to mate her for the first time. Today we went out and she was scalped.

She had submitted to him and then he mounted her and caused the injury.

It is hard to know what the dynamic is between them right now or exactly what happened when the injury was caused. I find that if it takes that long for a cockerel to establish dominance over the head hen he is usually a fairly weak personality and isn't that sure and self-confident. A cockerel that can win over a flock at a younger age usually does it by the force of his personality. This late and it is often by brute force. I did not see it so I'm not sure what actually happened. I have seen hens with such a strong personality that they really don't want to submit to any rooster. All chickens are different and have their own personality.

I had a cockerel that did not stand up to the head hen until he was 11 months old. It was a pretty vicious two days but neither was really injured. At the end she submitted and he accepted her submission. They became best buddies. Others on here have had chickens (almost always the hen) seriously injured or killed. You said he was good with the others.

The way I see it you have three options.

1. She would make great chicken and dumplings.

2. He would make a good stew.

3. Wait until she heals and try again.

Good luck!

It is hard to know what the dynamic is between them right now or exactly what happened when the injury was caused. I find that if it takes that long for a cockerel to establish dominance over the head hen he is usually a fairly weak personality and isn't that sure and self-confident. A cockerel that can win over a flock at a younger age usually does it by the force of his personality. This late and it is often by brute force. I did not see it so I'm not sure what actually happened. I have seen hens with such a strong personality that they really don't want to submit to any rooster. All chickens are different and have their own personality.

I had a cockerel that did not stand up to the head hen until he was 11 months old. It was a pretty vicious two days but neither was really injured. At the end she submitted and he accepted her submission. They became best buddies. Others on here have had chickens (almost always the hen) seriously injured or killed. You said he was good with the others.

The way I see it you have three options.

1. She would make great chicken and dumplings.

2. He would make a good stew.

3. Wait until she heals and try again.

Good luck!
This was super helpful, thank you!

Back
Top Bottom